Quinoa and Living Yeast-Free

Quinoa is being called the new superfood.  It is definitely a food that you can eat on a yeast-free diet.  Used by the Incas, quinoa is grain-like, but is actually a seed.  Its protein content is high and it is a source of dietary fiber, magnesium and iron. It also is a great source of calcium and it is gluten-free.  What more can one ask for?


You can find organic quinoa at your neighborhood grocery, at most health food stores, and in large quantities at Costco.

Quinoa is simple to cook.  One thing is very important.  Rinse the quinoa before you begin.  Then combine 2 cups of water and 1 cup of quinoa.  Bring it to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat to low.  It will be done in about 15 minutes.  Be sure to drain the quinoa.

I have found quinoa to be versatile in cooking.  It can be put into many dishes to add protein and fiber.  Here are a few ways I have used quinoa recently.



Quinoa topped with onions and spinach (sauteed in olive oil) and rotisserie chicken; finish with sea salt and ground pepper



Quinoa added to a salad of organic greens, tomatoes, avocado and rotisserie chicken; dress with olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, sea salt and ground pepper


My latest quinoa "find" at the grocery store is quinoa pasta.  I tried it for the first time this weekend and I love it!  I bought Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta Garden Pagodas.  It is gluten free.  Below is the package, ingredients, and nutritional information.






I first made the pasta according to directions and put Amy's Organic Pasta Sauce (Family Marinara) on top.  It was delicious!  With the leftover pasta, I made the pasta salad featured below.  I cut up black olives and tomatoes.  Then I tossed them with the pasta, Veganaise (grapeseed oil style), and rotisserie chicken.  I placed all of that on top of organic greens.  I added a bit of sea salt and ground pepper to taste.  Voila! A great lunch!!  Healthy and yeast-free!




And now for an Abbey moment...  Oh well, I guess I won't disturb her.  She is fast asleep in her new bed!






Comments