Curried Butternut Squash Soup for a Cold and Cloudy Day

In Orlando, we have been having quite a few cloudy days.  It is even a bit cold today!  I just checked the temperature and it is 61 degrees at 10:00 a.m. So what better day than today to share my Butternut Squash Soup recipe I received from my longtime friend, Kevin Fuller.  It is perfect for a yeast-free healthy diet, plus it is tasty!  I had been wanting to try butternut squash in a soup recipe for a long time.  Recently I baked some butternut squash for a side dish and it was delicious.

Here is the recipe:

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 thin slice fresh ginger, peeled & grated
10 cups cubed butternut squash (about 3 1/2 lbs.)
1 t sea salt
2 t yellow curry powder
6 cups low sodium organic vegetable broth
1 cup coconut milk

1.  Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
2.  Add onion, garlic & ginger; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 - 5 minutes, or until soft & fragrant.
3.  Add squash, salt & curry powder; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
4.  Add broth; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 - 15 minutes, or until squash is soft.
5.  Place soup in blender or food processor, in small batches; cover with lid & kitchen towel.     Blend until smooth.
6.  Place blended soup back in saucepan.  Add coconut milk.  Cook over medium heat, for 2 - 3   minutes or until heated through.

The great thing about this recipe is that you can use 4 packages of frozen butternut squash instead of fresh squash, if you would like.  It saves on preparation time.  Also, you can substitute light coconut milk instead of regular coconut milk to save calories.  When I made the soup, I cut the recipe in half, using 2 packages of frozen butternut squash.  I did use regular coconut milk.  I also used 1 t of ground ginger (since I cut the recipe in half), not fresh ginger.  The soup turned out to be spectacular!

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

Delicious from any angle!

I hope you try this soup! Here's to a Happy New Year!



Comments