New Yeast-Free Product and a Sad Goodbye

Where has the summer gone?  It has flown by, as usual, and Monday I return to my teaching job for my annual week of pre-planning.  Before it gets too hectic, I want to share with you one of my latest findings that I'm using with my yeast-free living.

I was most excited about finding yeast-free panko flakes!  Yes, you are reading that correctly--yeast-free panko flakes.  They are made by Jeff Nathan Creations.  I found them locally in the Central Florida area at the Turkey Lake Road Whole Foods.  They did not have them at the Winter Park Whole Foods.  I would ask your neighborhood Whole Foods manager to carry them if they are not stocked on the shelves.  They can be purchased at Walmart.com and Amazon.com in quantity, but it is quite pricey.

The ingredients are
Tapioca Starch, Water, Potato Starch, Potato Flour, Palm Oil, Natural Vinegar, Honey, Egg Yolks, Salt

If you are on the Weight Watchers plan, a 1/4 cup serving of the panko flakes are 4 SmartPoints.

I made chicken cutlets and dredged them in Bob's All Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Flour seasoned with salt and pepper.  Next, I dipped them in a combination of almond milk and eggs, and then covered them with the Jeff Nathan Panko flakes. Finally, I cooked them on the stove in olive oil until done. Delicious!

Gluten Free and Yeast Free Panko Flakes
So who is Jeff Nathan?  He is the executive chef and co-owner of Abigael's http://abigaels.com/ on Broadway in NYC.  He also appears on his own PBS series, New Jewish Cuisine. You can also purchase the panko flakes through the link to Abigael's restaurant, but be mindful of the shipping costs.

I had to say a sad goodbye to my little sweetheart, Abbey, on July 17th.  I have featured her in many of my blogs over the past few years.  She was the most wonderful collie and friend.  When I bought her, she was a little terror.  She was all legs and all action.  I kept her in my laundry room with a baby gate while I was at work.  One day I got a call in my classroom right before I was to give the FCAT (the Florida Standardized Test at the time) that my alarm was going off at my house.  I quickly called my mom, and she said she would drive over to my house to see what was wrong because I could not leave work.  When my mom got to my house, she said my garage door was open and Abbey was sitting in the laundry room.  We had no idea at the time what had transpired, but I was about to find out from several of my neighbors!

It seems that when I backed out of my driveway and put my garage door down, it must have caught on something and it went back up.  Somehow the force of that happening, opened the door to the laundry room where Abbey was and she escaped into the neighborhood, setting off the alarm.

One neighbor stopped me a few days later and said, "Oh, that's the dog that ran 90 miles and hour out of your driveway INTO MY CAR!"  He said he didn't hit her, but that she just ran into his car. He stopped his car, but she kept on running, so he knew she was fine.

Another little girl stopped me and said, "Oh, that's that crazy dog that was at our bus stop!"  I asked her what Abbey did.  She said she was jumping on all of the kids and nipping them.  "Great," I thought to myself.  She's lucky she did not go into the busy street next to their bus stop.

The reason she did not go into the busy street is that another neighbor told me that she saw Abbey at the bus stop with the kids and knew she was my dog.  She also knew her name, so Abbey followed her back to my house.  My neighbor thought I had been broken into because my garage door was open, but she was kind enough to walk Abbey into the open door to my laundry room.

That is why when my mom came to the house, all she found was my garage door open and Abbey sitting in the laundry room like nothing happened!  So, that was just one of many Abbey adventures!

I will really miss those big brown eyes and all the love we shared.  Abbey will always remain in my heart.

Abbey--July 27, 2003-July 17, 2016--RIP







Comments