Korean Beef Bowls the Yeast Free Way!

It is a beautiful day today in Orlando--73 degrees!  I feel for all of you who still have snow and more snow on the way.  That is why my father decided to retire in Florida back in 1968.  I'm so glad he made that decision for our family.  From time to time I miss LaGrange and Brookfield, Illinois where I lived until I was 12.  I have so many great memories growing up there.  Here is a picture of the house I grew up in:


I think it looks wonderful!  My father planted the maple tree that is in the foreground of the picture.  The owners are keeping the home up so nicely.  Thank you to my cousin, Jack Koschka, for the photo.

Last week I made the Korean Beef Bowls found in The Pretty Dish on pages 166-167.  I enjoy making "bowls" for dinner.  This one is simple to make and tasty.  I changed a few of the ingredients to make it yeast free.

Ingredients:

1 pound sirloin beef, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour)
2 tablespoons brown sugar (1 tablespoon Truvia brown sugar blend)
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce (I used Hokan Fish Sauce)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil (I used Sun Luck Pure Sesame Oil)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
Pinch of crushed red-pepper flakes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I used olive oil, which will make your cooking time longer.)
1-1/2 cups cooked jasmine rice
2 large carrots, peeled and spiralized (You can also use a vegetable peeler.)
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds

Directions:
1.  Toss the beef with the flour.
2.  Whisk together in a bowl the Truvia brown sugar blend, fish sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and red-pepper flakes.
*3.  In a large pan or wok, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the beef and cook until it is seared and golden brown.  Turn the beef over, and cook until that side is seared and golden brown.
4.  Pour in the sauce. Cook, constantly tossing, for 1-2  minutes.  Pour the beef and any extra sauce in a bowl.
5.  Bowl Assembly:  Divide the rice and carrots between 2 bowls.  Top with the beef, then add the scallion and the sesame seeds.  You can also add a drizzle of sesame oil on top, if desired.

*I changed the heat temperatures and cooking times for the recipe since olive oil has a lower heat point than vegetable oil.

The next time I make this, I am going to double the sauce.  It is so delicious, and I felt the dish could have used some extra sauce to place on the rice as you are eating.  Also, I could not get my spiralizer to work with the carrots, so I used the vegetable peeler with my bowl.  I watched a YouTube video that explained you need to use very large (wide) carrots to spiralize, so now I know what I did wrong.

Korean Beef Bowl

I also made the dish with boneless skinless chicken breasts.  The sauce worked well with chicken, too.  I cut my chicken into chunks when cooking, and poured the sauce on top of it in the pan.  Again, you will want to adjust your cooking times to be sure the chicken is fully done.

Also, I wanted to let you know that there was an error when I calculated the amount of Truvia brown sugar blend in the Toasted Garlic Tomato Bisque.  The correct amount should be 1-1/2 tablespoons, not 3 tablespoons.  I apologize if you made the soup and it seemed too sweet.  The recipe has been updated in the blog to reflect the correct amount of Truvia brown sugar blend.

I hope you enjoy the Korean Beef Bowls.  Let me know if you make them, and send me a picture in the comments.  Enjoy your week!!

#theprettydish
#howsweeteats
#lovinglifeandlivingyeastfree

Comments