Toasted Garlic Tomato Bisque the Yeast-Free Way

I hope that everyone enjoyed their Passover or Easter weekend with family and friends!  It was a beautiful day in Orlando.  Milo was dressed up for the day.

Milo is trying to find the Easter bunny!

Some readers have recently asked me how to get started on the yeast-free or Candida diet.  There is a lot of research online.  I started with a diagnosis of a Candida allergy.  From there I was given a pamphlet on foods I should avoid.  The list was long and ominous.  I didn't know how I was going to follow the plan.  But, I chose to be positive about it, and that is how this blog came about.  I thought that there must be other people looking for recipes and substitutions for foods that were no longer healthy for people with Candida.

Since I started the blog five years ago, many foods on the Candida diet are now much easier to find.  Consumers have demanded healthier products. Examples of this are quinoa, unsweetened almond milk, almond milk creamer, olive oil, coconut oil, brown rice, jasmine rice, and brown rice chips.

There are a few basic points to know about starting the Candida diet.  To me, making small changes at first and then adding on more changes makes sense.  I changed everything at once.  I don't recommend that.  You could start with dairy.  Then you could change the grains you eat.  Next you could look at which fruits and vegetables are better than others to eat.  Here is a link to the site "The Candida Diet".  https://www.thecandidadiet.com/  There is a wealth of information in that website to get started.  I also use the Livestrong website.  https://www.livestrong.com/
The main thing is to see a doctor, do some allergy testing, and see if this could be your issue.  I would say I follow the diet 90% of the time.  If I have an occasional sweet, glass of wine, piece of bread, I immediately go right back on the plan 100%.  It is a challenge, but it can be done.

I've done some cooking from The Pretty Dish the last few days!  I'm really enjoying my new cookbook.  Today I'm going to show you how I adapted "Toasted Garlic Tomato Bisque" to make it yeast-free.  The recipe is on pages 126-127 of the cookbook.  The main issue for yeast-free living is the canned tomatoes and tomato paste.  You want to use canned tomatoes and tomato paste without citric acid or calcium carbonate.  Here is a link that lists numerous types of diced tomatoes that you can purchase.  http://paleo.com.au/buy-canned-tomatoes-brands-avoid  Tomato paste is a little easier to find.  Try Costco for the Kirkland brand, Fresh Market for their brand, and most grocery stores carry the Muir Glen brand.  The main thing is to become a label reader. If you have more time, you could always make your own sauce out of fresh tomatoes.  I want to try that sometime, but I didn't this time. I left off the sherry in the recipe.  Instead of chicken stock, I used College Inn chicken broth.  I substituted Truvia brown sugar for true brown sugar.  https://www.truvia.com/products/brown-sugar-blend  I substituted plain almond milk creamer, not vanilla flavored, for half and half.  Silk and Calfia make plain almond milk creamer.  The soup turned out great!!  I would definitely make it again!

Here are the adapted ingredients:

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
2 shallots, sliced
1-1/2 tablespoons tomato paste (no citric acid)
1 can (28 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes (no citric acid or calcium carbonate)
2/3 cup sherry (I left that out.)
1/3 cup chicken stock (I used chicken broth.)
3 tablespoons brown sugar (I used 1-1/2 tablespoons Truvia brown sugar)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream (I used plain almond milk creamer, no soy creamer)
Chopped fresh basil and oregano for topping

Instructions:
1.  Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a medium sauce pan.
2.  Add the garlic.  Cook and stir until it is a golden, toasty brown.
3.  Transfer the garlic to a plate.
4.  Add the shallots to the pan and cook.  Stir occasionally for 8-10 minutes.
5.  Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes.
6.  Return the garlic to the pan.
7.  Add the tomatoes, broth, Truvia brown sugar, basil, salt, and pepper.
8.  Bring everything to a boil.
9.  Reduce and simmer for 20 minutes.

Place the soup in a blender and blend until pureed.  Return the soup to the pot on low heat.  Add the almond milk creamer right before serving.  Taste, and add any needed salt or pepper.  Top with the chopped basil and oregano.  The recipe will make 2-4 servings.


I absolutely loved the soup!  It tasted great, and it was made yeast-free with just a few tweaks!  Let me know if you try the soup.

#theprettydish
#howsweeteats
ladonne.oaldon.blogspot.com
#lovinglifeandlivingyeastfree





Comments