Zucchini Bread Pancakes the Yeast Free Way!

I'm continuing my series of recipes from the outstanding cookbook, The Pretty Dish, by Jessica Merchant.  Everything I have made from the cookbook has been delicious, even with the yeast free substitutions.  The zucchini bread pancakes are no exception.  They are scrumptious, even though they contain a vegetable!

Zucchini Bread Pancakes--Complete!
Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour)
2 tablespoons brown sugar (I used 1 tablespoon Truvia brown sugar blend)
2 teaspoons baking powder (Be sure it is aluminum-free)
1 teaspoon baking soda (Also aluminum-free)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1-1/4 cups milk (I used 1-1/4 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup freshly grated zucchini
Unsalted butter, for cooking the pancakes (I used Pam Cooking Spray Butter Flavor)
Maple syrup, for serving  (Use Truvia Natural Sweetener or Truvia brown sugar blend)

Directions:

1.  In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  Whisk together until combined. 
2.  In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and melted butter. 
3.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until smooth.
4.  Fold in the zucchini.
5.  Heat a large skillet or electric griddle over medium heat.
6.  Add butter or butter spray.
7.  Pour 1/4 cup of batter on the hot skillet.  Repeat, leaving 1" between the pancakes.
8.  Cook for 2 minutes, or until the pancakes bubble on the top and edges.
9.  Turn and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until set. 
10. Repeat with the remaining batter.
11. Top with butter and your choice of Truvia sugars.

I was able to make 12 full-sized pancakes with this amount of batter.  Three pancakes were very filling.  You might want to serve them with berries on the side.  I had blackberries on hand that morning.  I brought a serving of pancakes over to my 95-year-old mother to try.  Luckily, she had not eaten breakfast yet that morning, and she was so happy to have pancakes.  This was her first time trying zucchini bread pancakes, and she loved them! Win-Win!

Yummy!!


Of course, I have to let you know the latest with Milo, the puppy!  I bought him a Kong Frisbee.  Oh my goodness!  He wants to play all day!  He definitely keeps me running!

"Come and get it, Mom, because I'm not giving it to you, yet!"

Let me know if you make the zucchini bread pancakes.  I'd like your comments and pictures, too!  Be sure to "Like" my page, if you haven't yet.  Have a wonderful week!






Comments