Our Favorite Bolognese--The Yeast Free Way

This is one of my favorite recipes from The Pretty Dish by Jessica Merchant.  Many readers of How Sweet Eats, Jessica's blog, are now making Our Favorite Bolognese as part of their weekly rotation of meals.  It is delicious, and I was able to easily make a few substitutions to the dish so it follows the Candida diet.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 sweet onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch + 1 teaspoon salt
12 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped  (So sad that mushrooms are a no-no)
1 pound of ground beef  (I made it with 2 pounds of ground beef, no pork. Ground turkey would work)
1 pound of ground pork (See substitution above)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
2 tablespoons brown sugar  (I used 1 tablespoon of Truvia brown sugar blend)
1/2 cup half-and-half  (I used Silk Sweet & Creamy Almond Creamer)
1 cup dry red wine  (I left it out; so sad)
2 cans (14 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes (Try to find all of the canned tomatoes and tomato paste without citric acid, if possible.)
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (I left it out.)

Directions:

1.  Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a large pot.
2.  Add the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt.   Cook for 5 minutes, or until slightly softened. 
3.  Increase the heat to medium and add the beef, pushing the vegetables to the sides, and breaking apart the meat with a wooden spoon.
4.  Stir in the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, the pepper, basil, oregano, and red-pepper flakes.  Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking the meat into small pieces, or until the meat is browned.
5.  Add the Truvia brown sugar, almond creamer, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste.  Stir well.  Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. 
6.  Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. 
7.  Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.

There are many possibilities for serving the bolognese.  I put it over zucchini noodles.  Another night I put it over Tinkyada Brown Rice Linguine.  I gave some of the bolognese to my sister.  She put it over garbanzo beans.  I thought that was genius!  Since this recipe makes 6 to 8 servings, I was also able to give a few servings to my mother.  It freezes well, too. 

Our Favorite Bolognese over Zucchini Noodles


Our Favorite Bolognese over Brown Rice Linguine


Our Favorite Bolognese over Garbanzo Beans

Milo at the park.  He turned 9 months on April 28th!!


I hope you enjoy the bolognese.  Share it with your family and friends.  Remember to "Like" my page, and feel free to leave a comment or a photo of your dish.

#theprettydish
#howsweeteats
#lovinglifeandlivingyeastfree






Comments