Blackened Barbecue Salmon with Mango Salsa from The Pretty Dish

In Florida we are getting used to our afternoon or early evening rains.  It does cool things down for the rest of the day, so that is a plus.  My yard is still green and my crepe myrtles started to bloom this week.  So far, Milo has tolerated the storms just fine.  We have yet to have a real bad lightning storm, so the verdict on his storm behavior is still to be seen.

I think the Blackened Barbecue Salmon with Mango Salsa is a perfect summertime recipe.  All of the ingredients are easy to access in the summer, and this has to be one of my favorite recipes from The Pretty Dish.  One of the women who made the recipe and raved about it on the Facebook page "The Pretty Dish Book Club" said it is "restaurant quality", and I agree with that statement.

Here is the recipe:

Mango Salsa
  • 1 mango, chopped (pineapple or peaches could be substituted; I made it with mango.)
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons silver tequila (this could be for your friends not following the Candida diet)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Barbecue Salmon
  • 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar (I used Truvia Brown Sugar blend.)
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 pounds salmon fillet
  • 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce (see below for my recipe for barbecue sauce)
Barbecue Sauce

Note:  I found this recipe for barbecue sauce from the The Genius Kitchen http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/good-bbq-sauce-for-the-candida-diet-381848
I love it, especially because it does not contain sugar.  It makes 1-1/2 cups of sauce, so I used it later in the week on chicken.
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup water (or a bit more)
  • 2-3 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos (I used 2 tablespoons.)
  • 1-2 tablespoons chili powder (I used 1 tablespoon.)
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice (I used 1 teaspoon.)
  • 1 tablespoon Braggs apple cider vinegar
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed or minced
  • 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
  • 1-3 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated (I used 1-1/2 teaspoons.)
  • 1/8-1/4 teaspoon Truvia powder (I used 1/4 teaspoon.)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable glycerin (I did not use this.)
Lime Butter
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • Grated zest of 1/2 lime
  • 1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Directions to Make the Mango Salsa:

In a bowl, combine the mango, onion, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, lime zest and juice, tequila, and salt.  Toss well.  Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.

Directions to Make the Barbecue Sauce:

In a small saucepan, whisk the water into the tomato paste.  Add all other ingredients and cook over low heat 5-10 minutes or long enough for the flavors to meld.  Be sure to taste to see if you want to add more chili powder, etc. 

Directions to Make the Barbecue Salmon:

Preheat the broiler to high and set the oven rack about 6" below it.  In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar (Truvia), paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Rub the mixture all over the salmon fillet. Brush with the barbecue sauce.

Broil the salmon for 6 to 8 minutes, or until just opaque and flaky.  

Directions to Make the Lime Butter:

In a bowl, stir together the butter, lime zest, and salt until combined.  

While the salmon is still hot, pat the lime butter over the top and let it melt.  Top with the mango salsa and serve.

Blackened Barbecue Salmon with Mango Salsa

Isn't it beautiful?  I have all two pounds of salmon on that plate, so I divided it up for several meals.  It is delicious!!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  

Of course, I have to show you my latest and cutest photo of Milo.  He is getting so big!  I just love him!  Have a wonderful week!

Milo
#theprettydish
#theprettydishbookclub








Comments