Remembering Michael Oro and his Legacy

Today's blog post is dedicated to the memory of my nephew, Michael Oro.  Below are the two posts I've written in the past about him and the recipe he created which I call "Michael's Sauce".  He would have been 31 on Friday, June 22nd.  Michael died of an accidental overdose of heroin laced with fentanyl on July 23, 2015, but he was so much more than his drug addiction.

Michael was a true friend.  He was able to help others with their addictions, but couldn't save himself.  Michael loved children and was a special friend to my collie, Abbey.  He helped me pack and unpack my classrooms so many times during my teaching career, that I've lost count.  He loved working out at Planet Fitness and LA Fitness.  He made lifelong friends at his job at Chick-Fil-A in both Waterford Lakes and Winter Park.  And, in my opinion, he was a fantastic barista at the Belle Isle (Conway) Starbucks.  Michael became interested in writing electronic music.  He was completely self-taught, and I remember one of his friends calling him a "beat genius".

Michael was finishing his AA at Valencia College and our family recently received his degree posthumously.  He wanted to major in Computer Science at the University of Central Florida (UCF), where his mother works.  His mother, Glenna Oaldon Oro and some special donors established the Michael M. Oro Memorial Scholarship at UCF in the College of Engineering and Computer Science.  The scholarship is open to full-time undergraduates majoring in Computer Science.  Preference will be given to graduates of Timber Creek High School, where Michael attended high school in Orlando, Florida.  The scholarship will be awarded in September.  If you know of anyone who would like to apply, here is a link to the scholarship page.  http://www.cecs.ucf.edu/college-of-engineering-scholarships/  The window to apply will be in the fall, so check back to the link often.  If you would care to donate to Michael's scholarship, please click the link https://www.ucffoundation.org/givenow  Under the "Search for a Fund" box, there is a drop down menu and the Michael M. Oro Memorial Scholarship is listed.

Since Michael's death, my sister and I have learned so much more about drug addiction.  The opioid crisis in our country is ongoing.  The stigma and shame many addicts feel is one of the main reasons they do not seek help.  Families suffer right along with the addict, not knowing what to do or where to seek help.  Sometimes help is extremely hard to find, and if you do find it, it may not be the help that individual needs and in most cases, assistance is not covered by insurance.  There is not a one-size-fits-all solution for addiction.  What works for one person may not work for another.  It is extremely complex.  It is important to try to find that moment of clarity the addict has to try to intervene.  They have to want to be helped.  No one can do it for them.  Here is a link to the National Helpline for Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration.  https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline  That is a good place to start.  Here are links to Narcotics Anonymous https://www.na.org/ and Alcoholics Anonymous.  https://www.aa.org/

Michael had dreams and goals for his life.  He always wanted to be married and have a family.  He wanted a degree from UCF and a career.  He dreamed of having his own home and a Siberian Husky. He wanted to name his dog, Ayla.  All of his dreams vanished in a second.  The message here is that drugs do not discriminate.  Anyone can become addicted.  If you are, I implore you to go to a family member or friend and ask for help.
Michael Oro

Michael's Sauce (See recipe below.)

Links to Michael's electronic music:

"With You"   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIWnfi70kOw

"The Halo Effect" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uq3cpYeb-U

"Revive"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVEtXEs-ohM&t=3s

"Melodic Tears"--dedicated to the innocent children and staff who lost their lives at Sandy Hook Elementary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjVJCNTboqE

"Impact" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VOQQ3nMD-c

"Boomshakalaka"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUF5_SMeGuc

"Dynamics"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1lsiXHTaRo

"Illusion"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELwvF2kfgu4

"Deliquium" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KdzMMrcuO0



(First published on August 6, 2015)

This blog is bittersweet today.  It is written in memory of my nephew, Michael Oro, who recently passed away.  Among Michael's many loves was cooking, especially healthy cooking.  Michael enjoyed cuisine from all over the world.  He especially liked octopus from Galicia in Spain.  Our family also enjoyed going to Bosphorous Turkish Cuisine Restaurant in Winter Park, Florida. We would all normally order the Chicken Adana Kebab dinner.  On that evening, I would usually cheat a bit on my yeast-free lifestyle and have the naan bread.  However, Michael was really proud of the fact that I was sticking to yeast-free living about 90% of the time.  He enjoyed working out at the gym, writing electronic music, and making everyone laugh.  Michael was loved by his family and friends.  So, I am running the post "Michael's Sauce" again as a tribute to him today.  This remains one of my favorite dinners.

Michael Oro

(First published on March 30, 2014)

Last night I made one of my favorite yeast-free dinners.  Then I realized that I never shared it on this blog.  I actually got this idea/recipe from my nephew, Michael.  He was making this sauce one day when I was over visiting him.  He works out and eats a healthy diet, so it was normal to see him cooking with ground turkey.  He doesn't know it (I guess he will when the blog is published), but I am naming the recipe "Michael's Sauce".

Here is the recipe:

  • 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
  • 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of ground turkey
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic
  • 1 bag of fresh spinach
  • 1 cup of spaghetti sauce
  • 2 tsp. of Italian seasoning 
  • Salt, to taste
  • Pepper, to taste
  • Red pepper flakes (a few)--Optional
Heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the chopped onion and cook until softened.  Add garlic. While the onion is cooking, in a separate pan, brown the ground turkey.  Add the cooked ground turkey to the onion and garlic mixture.  Begin to add the spinach a few handfuls at a time to the turkey mixture until the spinach is wilted.  Add the spaghetti sauce and seasonings. Simmer for 10 minutes or so until the sauce is heated.

Serve over quinoa or brown rice.

There are many variations you can make to this recipe.  Mushrooms can be added if you are not on a yeast-free diet.  Also, green, yellow, or red peppers can be added.  In addition, you could add fresh tomatoes.  Broccoli can be used instead of spinach.  What is nice about this recipe is that you can use leftovers you may have in your refrigerator or pantry to complete the sauce.  I actually had most of a yellow onion and part of a jar of spaghetti sauce leftover which I used for the recipe I made last evening.  All I had to purchase was the bag of fresh spinach.  Everything else I had on hand.  That is why it is one of my "Go-To" recipies now.

I hope you enjoy making "Michael's Sauce" as much as Mike and I do!




 "Michael's Sauce" over brown rice


Michael at St. Augustine Beach

Comments