Blueberry Cream Cheese Biscuits from The Pretty Dish

When Jessica Merchant's cookbook, The Pretty Dish, first came out, it seemed that everyone in The Pretty Dish Book Club was making these biscuits.  The fact of the matter is that I made the biscuits, too!  I just haven't shared them yet.  But today, I'm finally sharing the Blueberry Cream Cheese Biscuits with Salted Vanilla Butter.  I have made a few substitutions so that they follow the Candida diet to keep everything yeast free.

Blueberry Cream Cheese Biscuits (Makes 12 to 16 biscuits)

Biscuits

  • 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon sugar (I used 1/2 packet of Truvia)
  • 4 ounces cold cream cheese (I used Kite Hill plain cream cheese--It is Vegan and it tastes good!)
  • 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into tiny pieces 
  • 1-1/4 cups cold buttermilk (I used 1-1/4 cups of unsweetened almond milk with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar; Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before use.)
  • 2/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Vanilla Butter
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (I could not find vanilla bean paste, so I substituted 1 teaspoon of vanilla, as suggested by Jessica Merchant on The Pretty Dish Book Club Facebook page.)
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
Directions to make the biscuits:

Preheat the oven to 425°F.  In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.  Add the cream cheese and butter and use a fork, pastry blender, or your hands to mix until coarse little crumbs form.  I use my hands and mix for almost 5 minutes.  Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk.  Stir with a large spoon until just combined.  Fold in the blueberries.  Use your hands if needed to bring the dough together.

Pat the dough into a circle that is about 1-1/2" thick.  This will make tall biscuits!  Using a biscuit or cookie cutter, cut the dough into rounds and place on a nonstick baking sheet.  You may need to bring the dough together and flatten it more to get the last few biscuits.  Alternately, you could just drop large spoonfuls of batter on the baking sheet and form them that way.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden and high.  Let cool slightly before serving.

Directions to make the vanilla butter:

In a bowl, mix the butter, vanilla bean paste, and salt until combined.  Serve spread on the warm biscuits.  You can keep this at room temperature or store it in the fridge for a few days.

Blueberry Cream Cheese Biscuits


Up-Close Deliciousness!

The flour I used.



There is no better time than the present to try these biscuits.  Blueberries are so plentiful in the summer, and they are reasonably priced, too!  In this recipe, the right gluten free flour makes a difference.  I originally used Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Flour, but it contains bean flours that are better suited for what it says--all-purpose.  I tried Bob's Red Mill Baking Flour for this recipe and it really made a huge difference in the flavor.  I am going to use it in the future for any cookies I make, too.  Also, please make the vanilla butter.  OMGoodness!  It is awesome and really adds to the whole biscuit.  That is what makes this cookbook, The Pretty Dish, so awesome.  The little details do make a difference!

I hope you try the biscuits this summer.  Also, how is your summer reading coming along?  I am reading The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews right now.  I love it!  Also, I bought the book at Eagle Eye Bookshop in Atlanta when I met Jessica Merchant on her book tour.  I'm currently listening to The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah on an audible book.  I listen in the car and when I'm cleaning. It is a great way to get in an extra book here and there.  This is the second Kristin Hannah book I have read, and both have been epics!  Keep enjoying your summer!

Milo is staying cool inside the air-conditioned house.  He is getting so big!!
#theprettydish
#theprettydishbookclub
#lovinglifeandlivingyeastfree




Comments