Superfood Pitaya Bowl from The Pretty Dish

Is it possible to be in love with a fruit?  Eating the frozen pink dragon fruit, known as pitaya, is about as close as I can come to admitting love for a fruit!  I never tried anything made with pink dragon fruit before the pitaya bowl.  Now, I'm totally hooked.  I'm actually going to make it again today for lunch.  It is a great breakfast or snack to have in the summertime, too.  You still have time to go out and buy your frozen pitaya, and have this bowl on the 4th of July tomorrow.

Pitaya Bowl Ingredients: (pages 36-37 in The Pretty Dish)

  • 1 package (3.5 ounces) frozen pitaya--(Picture below of PitayaPlus)
  • 1/2 cup frozen peaches
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup milk (cow's, almond, coconut, etc.)--I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
TOPPING
Sliced banana
Berries
Granola--(I used Bear Naked Vanilla Almond; It is a little off plan.)

Directions:

In a high-powered blender, combine the pitaya, peaches, banana, milk, chia seeds, and hemp seeds.  Blend until thick and creamy.  Scoop the smoothie into a bowl and top with sliced banana, berries, and granola.  Eat immediately! 




Pitaya Bowl from #theprettydish


This recipe makes one generous serving.  It is so delicious.  And, the color is absolutely beautiful!!  Be sure to buy the frozen pitaya and not the fresh pink dragon fruit.  Don't worry if you don't have a high-powered blender.  I don't have one, and the bowl turned out just fine.

Here is the frozen pitaya I found in Orlando, Florida.  I found it at Lucky's Market on East Colonial Drive.  They are expanding Lucky's Markets to other places in Orlando.  The pitaya comes in 4 pre-measured 3.5 ounce packages, which makes it convenient to use for this recipe.  Each package contains only fruit; no added sugar.  

PitayaPlus!

So this 4th of July, try something different, beautiful, and tasty!  I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!  As always, a big thanks to Jessica Merchant, author of The Pretty Dish, for the recipe and inspiration!

#theprettydish
#theprettydishbookclub

Comments