Charred Tomato and Bacon Fettuccine from The Pretty Dish

Wow!  Another recipe from The Pretty Dish by Jessica Merchant that will be part of my meal rotations!  This is one of the recipes Jessica chose as an August Recipe of the Month for The Pretty Dish Book Club on Facebook.  After making it yesterday, I can certainly see why it was chosen.

I just did a few substitutions in this recipe.  I substituted Tinkyada brown rice fettuccine for whole wheat fettuccine and Follow Your Heart Mozzarella cheese for Parmesan cheese.  The mozzarella cheese is vegan, but it does contain soy, so it is not completely on the yeast free diet.  I did keep the bacon in this pasta because it is an integral part of the recipe.  So, again, it is not completely yeast free.

Charred Tomato and Bacon Fettuccine from The Pretty Dish

Charred Tomato and Bacon Fettuccine--Makes 2 Servings

Ingredients:

1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound whole wheat fettuccine (I used Tinkyada brown rice fettuccine)
8 slices bacon, chopped
1/3 cup finely graded Parmesan cheese, plus extra for sprinkling (I substituted Follow Your Heart Mozzarella cheese)
Fresh herbs, such as basil and oregano, for topping (I used basil.)

Directions:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Meanwhile, place the tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper.  Roast for 15 to 20 minutes at 425°, or until charred and caramelized.  This will depend on the size of your tomatoes, so keep an eye on them after 15 minutes.  At this point, add the fettuccine to the water to cook. 

While the tomatoes are roasting, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the bacon.  Cook until crispy and the fat is rendered.  Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and place it on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess grease.  Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease from the skillet.  Add the cooked fettuccine to the skillet and toss it with the bacon grease.  Add the Parmesan and toss.  Add the charred tomatoes and the bacon and toss to combine.

Serve, topped with extra Parmesan and fresh herbs.

I did a search on the Follow Your Heart website and they do have Alternative Dairy Free Shredded Parmesan Style cheese available.  I hope I can find it in my Publix the next time I shop!  I hope you enjoy this recipe from The Pretty Dish!

Of course I have to add a photo of my "big boy" Milo, now that he is one!  He loves the backyard!!

Happy Milo!
#theprettydish
#theprettydishbookclub
#tinkyada
#followyourheartcheese
@howsweeteats
@followyourheart


Comments