Summer Garden Pizza the Yeast Free Way!


Summer is quickly coming to an end in most places in the country.  Not in Orlando, Florida!  Today I am featuring Summer Garden Pizza from Jessica Merchant's outstanding cookbook, The Pretty Dish.  If you have not gotten a copy of her book yet, here is the link:  The Pretty Dish  I actually have two copies, a hardback and a Kindle.  The Kindle copy is great to refer to when I am shopping and when I write my blog.

Crust:

To make the pizza crust yeast free, I did not use Jessica's crust recipe, although it has gotten rave reviews from other people who have made Summer Garden Pizza.  I used Simple Mills Pizza Dough, which I found it at Publix.  It is gluten-free and and is made of almond flour, arrowroot, flax meal, cauliflower, baking soda, organic oregano, cream of tarter, and organic garlic.  All you have to add to the mix is apple cider vinegar (from the Mother), vegetable oil, and water.  When I make the crust next time, I'm going to use olive oil instead of vegetable oil.  Hopefully, it will not make a difference.  To make the crust, follow the directions on the box.  I divided the dough into two equal portions, as they suggest.  Keep in mind that you do cook the crusts for 5 minutes in the oven at 350° without any toppings.  I was able to make two 8-inch pizzas using the dough.

Ingredients for Pizza:


  • 1 head kale, stems removed (I bought organic baby kale and removed the stems.)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Parmesan Style Shreds.)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2/3 cup full-fat ricotta cheese (See note below.)
  • 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, freshly grated (I used Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Cheese Alternative Shreds.)
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1-2 ears sweet corn, cut from the cob
  • Fresh herbs, such as oregano, basil, or cilantro, for topping (I used basil.)
To Make the Pizza:

  • Preheat oven to 350°.  Place the kale into a bowl.  Add the Parmesan and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and toss well to coat.  Place on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, tossing halfway through the cooking time.  (I checked mine at 10 minutes, and it was done.  It could be because I used baby kale.)
  • Once your pizza crusts have cooked for 5 minutes in the oven, top with the ricotta and half of the mozzarella.  Add the tomatoes, crispy kale, and corn. Add the remaining mozzarella.  Bake the pizza for 10-15 minutes until the the crust is golden and the cheese has melted.
  • Sprinkle the top of the pizza with fresh herbs.
Note:  Full-fat ricotta cheese is not on the yeast-free plan.  I did use it for this pizza.  However, Kite Hill has a dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan option.  They do not carry it at my neighborhood store.  I have bought it before at Whole Foods and it is quite pricey.  Kite Hill does offer coupons on their website.  See link below.

Summer Garden Pizza!

Ready to eat!


Pizza Dough Mix
I enjoyed this pizza.  The kale with the Parmesan cheese along with the fresh tomatoes and corn added to the summertime flavors of the pizza.  I have used a lot of fresh corn this summer in salads.  I have found that I really enjoy its sweetness.  Here is a tip for making the corn in the microwave:  Place 1-2 ears of corn in the microwave.  Leave on the husks.  Cook on high for 3 minutes.  Take out the corn and let it cool for a bit.  The husks will peel off easily.  The corn will stay warm.  Then you can cut the corn off of the cob or just eat the corn slathered in salt and butter!

I hope you enjoy making Summer Garden Pizza while we still have some summer days ahead!

Comments