What Are You Reading?

This was a productive week for me as far as reading.  On Sunday, I completed Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.  I absolutely loved this book.  It is the life story of Kya, a girl who grows up in the marshes of North Carolina.  It is a story of survival, perseverance, and love.  It was a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick for the month of September, too.  I highly recommend this book.

I also finished An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green.  This is his debut novel, and it is excellent.  It has an element of sci fi in it (Wikipedia calls it Speculative Fiction), which I normally do not read.  But in this case, it was a huge part of the story, and I enjoyed being stretched to read something I might not have picked out on my own.  The story surrounds a girl named April May, who at 23 years-old, makes a discovery that changes her life overnight.  She is thrust into a social media frenzy, and the reader sees how she copes with new found fame and the decisions she makes concerning her discovery.  This book was the Barnes & Noble Book of the Month.  Last night at my local B&N, the book club met and discussed the book.  We had a moderator who loves Sci Fi and made our discussion very enjoyable.  They gave away a free signed copy of the book in a drawing, and they always offer us coffee, tea, etc. from the B&N Cafe.  We had a special YouTube message from Hank Green telling us that there will be a sequel to this book, so that was exciting!   Barnes & Noble did not announce their next book club selection last night, so I'm anxious to hear what it will be.

P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han was another book I finished this week.  It is the 2nd in the series To All the Boys I've Loved Before.  It is a young adult book, and is a quick and easy read.  Lara Jean is the main character in the book.  She is the middle child in her family, and she is in love with Peter.  Lara Jean is a sweet and unforgettable character that makes her way through the trials and tribulations of high school and first love.  There will be a Netflix move made of this book, and the last book in the series, Always and Forever, Lara Jean is available.

This morning I finished Girl Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies about Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be by Rachel Hollis.  This is only the 2nd nonfiction book I have read this year.  Rachel Hollis is a successful blogger whose website is The Chic Site.  She is a mother of four children who began Chic Events, a high-end event planning company in LA.  This evolved into Chic Media, as her blog began to get more attention.  I listened to the book on audio, and now I am going to buy the hardback because there is so much I want to reread and highlight.  The book is that good.  Rachel leaves it up to you to do the changing in your life, but she gives you what has worked for her on a variety of topics.  She is so honest in what she reveals, and although every chapter may not relate to you, many of them will.  She is also a Christian woman, and her faith is woven throughout the book.  I highly recommend it!


Comments