Autumnal Pasta Sauce (Trader Joe's Copycat)

I can laugh about it now, but it was not too funny last night.  I had an epic fail last night.  I was going to make a pizza made from Trader Joe's Cauliflower Pizza Crust topped with the Autumnal Pasta Sauce, caramelized onions, spinach, and Follow Your Heart Parmesan Shreds.  However, when I flipped the pizza crust, it broke into about 10 pieces.  I have read reviews where that had happened to people, but I never had it happen to me.  So, Plan B went into operation!  But first, here is the recipe for the sauce.  I adapted it from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

Autumnal Pasta Sauce (Trader Joe's Copycat)

Ingredients:


  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup chopped carrots (about 4 medium)
  • 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
  • 15-ounce can cooked pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
  • 2 to 3 cups diced butternut squash (about 12 ounces)  Note:  I used 12 ounces of frozen butternut squash.
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock (If you want to keep it a vegetarian dish, use vegetable broth.)
  • 1 tablespoon granulated or brown sugar (I used 1-1/2 teaspoons of Truvia Brown Sugar Blend.)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • Pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 cup half and half, cream, or milk (I used 1/2 cup of Original Silk Soy Dairy-Free Creamer.)
  • Hot, cooked brown rice penne pasta, for serving (I used Trader Joe's brand.)
  • 6 ounces of baby spinach, for serving
  • 3-4 onions, caramelized, for serving
  • 2-3 tablespoons Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Parmesan Shreds, for serving
Directions:  For Slow Cooker

1.  Combine all the ingredients, except the creamer, in a slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours until the squash is tender and flavors have combined well.  Use an immersion blender (or transfer the mixture in batches to a blender - taking care as hot liquids expand while blending) to blend until smooth.  Stir in the creamer.  Thin with additional broth or creamer, if needed.  

2.  About 45 minutes before the sauce is complete, begin to caramelize the onions.  Set aside when done.

3.  While caramelizing the onions, cook the brown rice penne according to the package.

3.  Add to the penne to a large skillet on stove top at medium heat.

4.  Add a few cups of the sauce to the skillet and blend.

5.  Add spinach and stir until wilted.

6.  Divide the pasta mixture into serving bowls.  Place a desired amount of caramelized onions on each bowl. 

7.  Top with Parmesan.

Look at those onions!


One tip I have is to stir the butternut squash into the sauce mixture, once you see it is no longer frozen.  Also, the original recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe gives directions to make the sauce in a pressure cooker and for the stovetop.  I elected to make it in the slow cooker.  Also, if you have leftover sauce, which I did, it freezes great!

I think my Plan B worked!  This ended up being a delicious dinner.  The addition of the spinach and caramelized onions added to the flavor of the meal.  I mean, who doesn't love caramelized onions?  I do think the sauce would be a great pizza sauce, too.  So, I haven't given up on that idea.  





Comments