What I Read in December! What are you Reading?

I ended the year with some great books!  My online book club #spiveysclub picked Educated by Tara Westover as one of their choices in December.  It is a memoir of Tara Westover's life.  It is difficult to read, but is extremely powerful.  It could be a trigger for someone who has suffered abuse. 

#spiveysclub also chose two classics for January, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  I read Pride and Prejudice in ninth grade, and it was great to reread it with adult eyes.  I loved it!  I never read To Kill A Mockingbird, and I'm so glad I finally did.  Now I understand why everyone is still talking about that book.  Scout, the main character, is so endearing and Atticus Finch is a model father.  I want to read Harper Lee's sequel now. 

I also read Us Against You, the sequel to Beartown.  Fredrik Backman is a remarkable author and I was thoroughly satisfied with the sequel. 

I loved Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han.  This is the third and final book in the series that began with To All the Boys I've Loved Before.  I loved the entire series.  It really takes you back to high school.  I could relate a lot to Lara Jean, especially her love for cooking!  She sure makes a lot of cookies in this series!  Netflix has the first book available as a movie now.  The second book, P.S. I Still Love You, is also going to be made into a Netflix movie.  I'm sure Always and Forever, Lara Jean will become a movie, too!  It is that good!

I read two Christmas related books this month.  One was A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  Of course I loved it!  It really gets you into the Christmas spirit and helps you to focus on what is really important in life.  The other Christmas book I read was The 13th Gift by Joanne Huist Smith.  I read it with my Bible Study group, and we discussed it over tea and goodies.  This book is the true story of a difficult year the author had, and how she was blessed in a special way during Christmas that year.  Our group was motivated to do a project after reading the story.  It will remain anonymous, but we all hope that we made someone's Christmas a bit happier.

My favorite book of the month was the last book I read in 2019, One Day in December by Josie Silver.  It was a Book of the Month Club selection for December as well as Reese Witherspoon's Book Club December selection.  What can I say?  I haven't heard of one person that hasn't loved this book.  I MADE my sister take it with her on the plane to the Fiesta Bowl.  (She bought the paperback which traveled better than my hardback.)  She loves it! 


I am going to do a post of my top books of the year and how I did with my Goodreads Reading Challenge in 2018.  But right now, I have to get ready to watch the UCF Knights in the Fiesta Bowl.
Go Knights!!  Charge On!!

Comments