Strawberry Pie

How many of you grew up eating the strawberry pie from Frisch’s or Shoney’s?  My father loved the strawberry pie. I have fond memories as a young girl in the Chicago area making trips to the local Frisch’s Big Boy for strawberry pie with our family.  The trips to get strawberry pie continued when we moved to Orlando.  With strawberries in season, I decided to make my own strawberry pie this year. I was so excited to find a “copycat” recipe online at Cincyshopper.com that is so much like the original strawberry pie made at Frisch’s and Shoney’s.  It is the perfect spring/summertime dessert!

Strawberry Pie

Ingredients:

  • 1 refrigerated pie crust (Note: I used a Wholly Gluten Free Pie Shell from Wholly Wholesome)
  • 2 cups sliced strawberries 
  • 2-1/2 tablespoons Cornstarch (I use Rumford brand.)
  • 1-1/4 cups sugar (I used 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Truvia Cane sugar blend.)
  • 1-1/2 cups water
  • 1 box (3 oz.) strawberry gelatin (Note: I used  regular Jello-O. However, I just found out about a stevia-based jell-o called Simply Delish. I will be making another strawberry pie with that to see how it tastes. I will follow-up on another blog post.)
Instructions:
  • Preheat over to 400 degrees F.
  • Remove pie shell from freezer and thaw, 10-20 minutes.
  • Bake pie shell for 10-14 minutes, until it appears golden brown around the edges.
  • Allow the pie crust to cool.
  • Layer bottom with sliced strawberries.
  • Stir together water, Truvia, and cornstarch and bring to a boil.
  • Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened.
  • Remove from heat, add Jell-O and stir until dissolved.
  • Pour mixture over strawberries.
  • Refrigerate until set.
  • You can decorate with whipped cream, if desired. (Note: I did not.)
My childhood has returned!

This pie turned out beautifully! It is absolutely scrumptious, and best of all, it brought back many fond family memories.  The pie is extremely simple to make, and as you can see in the photo, it set quite well.  I did some research and found out that  Frisch’s restaurants are only located in Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio now.  Check the link to see where they are located.  Strawberry pie is in season there!  You can check the Shoney’s website to find a location near you, too!  I hope you enjoy this strawberry pie. It will be perfect for the Memorial Day weekend!

Comments