Beyond Burgers and Wahlburgers’ Impossible Burger

Have you tried plant-based burgers?  I have tried two types of them recently.  To be honest, I could not tell them apart from a regular burger.  I found both delicious.

I had the Impossible Burger at my neighborhood Wahlburgers.  Wahlburgers offers a gluten-free bun for the Impossible Burger or any burger you order.  The Impossible Burger is served with caramelized onions, lettuce, tomato, and cheese.  I cheated and had regular cheese, but you can leave it off of your order.  I have to say that I would not have been able to tell this burger apart from a normal hamburger.  It was juicy and absolutely delicious.   The Impossible Burger does contain soy and the "heme", which gives the burger its red meaty appearance, goes through a process that uses genetically modified ingredients.  The process is on their website and it does mention yeast.  I have looked for articles about Candida and the Impossible Burger, but cannot find any yet, since it is so new.  Look at the FAQ section for more information on this.


Impossible Burger from Wahlburgers


I made the Beyond Burger at home.  They are simple to make and are juicy just like a regular hamburger.  It is vegan and contains no GMOs, soy, or gluten.  The reason the burger has a "red" appearance is because it contains beets.  The protein used in the Beyond Burger is pea, mung bean, and rice.  I did not eat it with a bun, but I served it with sweet potato fries, mashed avocado with sea salt, tomato slices, and caramelized onions. 


Beyond Burger

The plant-based burgers are an alternative to a beef burger, but are not necessarily healthier because they are processed.  I think, as with anything, they can be an occasional treat.  There are many alternatives to beef burgers that you can make yourself, such as the Walnut and Black Bean Burgers I featured on the blog earlier this year.  Using whole food ingredients to make your own veggie burgers is always a healthier option.  When dining out, you can usually find a veggie burger of some type on the menu.  I always check to see if the veggie burger contains mushrooms.  I hope this gives you some insight into the new plant-based burgers.  Be sure to read the websites of both burgers and do your own research so that you are making an informed choice when you shop or dine out at a restaurant.  

Comments