Breakfast Quinoa with Coconut Milk

Today’s recipe is a great alternative if you are in an oatmeal rut for breakfast.  I have seen many posts about eating quinoa for breakfast, so I finally decided to try it myself.  It was a great twist on my normal breakfast routine, so I thought I would share it on the blog.  I adapted this recipe from Jessica Merchant’s How Sweet Eats blog.

Breakfast Quinoa with Coconut Milk--Makes 2 Servings

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
  • 3/4 cup canned lite coconut milk + more for drizzling 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon + more for sprinkling
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 banana, chopped
  • 1/3 cup toasted pecans, chopped (I did not add pecans.)
Instructions:
  • Combine quinoa, coconut milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes until quinoa can be fluffed with a fork.
  • Divide quinoa into two bowls then cover with bananas, pecans, and a few extra drizzles of coconut milk.
When I made the breakfast quinoa, I used full-fat coconut milk, which is high in calories.  When I remake this recipe, I will either use lite coconut milk or unsweetened vanilla almond milk.  Also, I added blueberries to the recipe, and sprinkled unsweetened coconut onto the quinoa.  I think pecans would be delicious on this, but at the moment I cannot eat nuts.  


Breakfast Quinoa with Coconut Milk
I hope you will find this recipe as delicious and flavorful as I did!

Comments