Curry-Spiced Tofu with Asian Vegetables


To be honest, I have never cooked with tofu before this recipe.  I've ordered it in restaurants in pasta and Thai food.  So this week I ventured out of my comfort zone and tried something new!  The results were fantastic!  I found a great recipe from the American Heart Association that was simple and healthy, too!

Curry-Spiced Tofu with Asian Vegetables--Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 12 oz. extra-firm tofu (not silken), drained, patted dry, cut into 4 pieces
  • 1 tablespoon *curry powder (divided use)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon *curry powder (divided use)
  • 12 oz. packaged, fresh stir-fry vegetables, cut into bite-size pieces if large (about 4 cups)
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 2 teaspoons canola or corn oil (I used olive oil.)
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 large onion, cut into 3/4-inch wedges
  • 4 large garlic cloves (minced)
  • 1/4 cup light coconut milk
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce or paste

Note:  I made my own curry powder using this recipe:
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Place the spices into a spice jar and shake or mix by hand in a small bowl.

Directions:
  • Put the tofu on a large plate.  Sprinkle the tofu on both sides with 1 tablespoon curry powder.  Using your fingertips, gently press the curry powder so it adheres to the tofu.
  • In a large microwaveable bowl or in the package, microwave the vegetables and water on high for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they are almost tender-crisp, but still have some crunch.  Pour off any remaining water.
  • In a large nonstick skillet, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom.  Cook the tofu slices in a single layer for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until browned.  Transfer to a separate large plate.  Cover loosely to keep warm.
  • In the same skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom.  Cook the onion for 1 minutes, stirring frequently.
  • Stir in the vegetables and garlic.  Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring constantly.
  • Stir in the coconut milk, chili garlic sauce, and remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder.  Bring to a boil, still over medium-high heat.  Spoon the vegetable mixture over the tofu.



Curry-Spiced Tofu with Asian Vegetables

I really loved this meal!  Even though my package of stir-fry vegetables contained snow peas, I added an extra package of snow peas.  I also added a small can of sliced water chestnuts.  I love the crunch of water chestnuts in my Asian meals.  The curry powder added so much flavor to the tofu.  It was not overpowering at all, because I have had meals in restaurants where the curry was just too much!  I hope you will try Curry-Spiced Tofu with Asian Vegetables.


Comments