What I Read in June—Part 1

June Books 

I had a great month of reading!  I always do a combination of reading hardback books, reading on my Kindle, and listening to audiobooks.  This month I’m going to split the reviews of the books into two  parts, since there are nine books. Today, I will review the first four books I read this month. Tomorrow I will review the remaining five books.

I started the month reading A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. He also wrote Beartown and its sequel Us Against You.  Backman created a character in Ove that you dislike at the beginning of the book, but love by the end.  This book is a great perspective on life, aging, purpose, and love.  You can watch the Swedish film version of the book on Amazon Prime Video.  Tom Hanks is set to star in the remake of the Swedish version.

House of Social Graces  is Lucy Silvano’s debut novel.  Lucy and I follow each other on Instagram and she sent me her book to review.  I thoroughly enjoyed this novel!  The book is set in London, and she makes the city come alive.  The main character, Rose, is an American working as an etiquette tutor at the prestigious House of Social Graces.  Rose has a toxic boss, a terrific roommate, Maddie, and a lovable boyfriend, Francis.  The novel flowed very well, and the author is a master at descriptive writing and detail.  I hope there is a sequel!  The book can be purchased at Barnes & Noble and Amazon.

I loved The Guest Book by Sarah Blake.  It was Barnes and Noble’s Book Club pick for May.  This book is a multi-generational masterpiece.  Set in 1935, the novel tells the story of Ogden and Kitty Milton and their beloved home on Crockett Island through the years with their children and grandchildren.  I could not put this book down.

Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton was another fantastic read.  The premise of the book is the main character, Marisol, travels to Cuba from the United States to grant her Grandmother her dying wish. Once in Cuba, Marisol uncovers family secrets and romance.  The authors gives fantastic background on the history of Cuba during the 1958 revolution.  This book was a Reese Witherspoon  choice in July, 2018.

Happy Reading! I will review the remaining books tomorrow!


Comments