Holiday Dinner Inspired by Mom

The holidays are almost here!  They really came quickly this year with Thanksgiving so late.  I have all of my shopping done, except for my little guy, Milo.  I'm going to have to pick him up a special toy.  

I have my mom to thank for this holiday dinner.  As you remember, she passed away earlier this year, and this is something she would make for herself.  It is perfect for small families and those living alone, but still want to have a holiday meal.  Mom was in her 90's when she started to do this tradition.  

Around Thanksgiving every year, I would drive her to Costco and she would buy a Kirkland turkey breast.  Our family had been going out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving for several years, but mom always wanted her own turkey breast to make sandwiches throughout the week.  I thought this was such a smart idea.  I did this myself last year when we went to Costco together.

So a few weeks ago after Thanksgiving, I went to Costco and saw the Kirkland turkey breasts.  I bought one and thought it would make a perfect Christmas/Holiday meal, too.  It is so easy to make.  

Kirkland Turkey Breast
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  • Add 1/2 cup of water to a lipped pan.
  • Remove all plastic covering from the turkey and place it in the pan.
  • Cover the turkey with aluminum foil.
  • Bake for 1 hour or until the internal temperature is 140 degrees.

This turkey is foolproof!  The package even tells you which way to slice the turkey for carving or for sandwiches.  As you can tell by the photo, the meat is beautiful.  Kirkland turkey breast are antibiotic free, also.  

As soon as the turkey came out of the oven, I roasted some Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper.  I made the sweet potato in the microwave and topped it with butter and Truvia brown sugar blend.  

This made a delicious meal, plus I now have turkey for sandwiches!  You can freeze the leftover turkey meat, too!  My mother always did this and pulled turkey out for her sandwiches.  I really miss her this holiday season; it is my first without her.  But, it makes me happy to share this blog with you because this was her sweet way of always having delicious, healthy food around her, even at 96 years of age!



Holiday Meal Inspired by Mom

Our mom--beautiful!  One month before her 96th birthday!

Comments