Book Review—Long Bright River by Liz Moore

I bought Long Bright River by Liz Moore in December of 2019 when it was a Book of the Month selection.  It was also one of the December selections for my online book club, Spivey’s Club.  I put off reading it because it deals with the opioid crisis.  Many books are being written about the opioid crisis now since so many families have been affected, mine included.  I lost my beloved nephew at the beginning of the opioid epidemic in July, 2015.  I finally decided to read the book.  It is an outstanding novel.  Long Bright River is about two sisters, one who has a career in law enforcement and the other who is addicted to opioids and lives on the street.  They were as close as sisters could be while growing up, but they do not speak anymore.  The book is set in the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia, which is starting to bring in hip bars, coffeehouses, and restaurants to revitalize the area.  Mickey, my favorite character in the book, is assigned to the Kensington district.  Mickey often catches a glimpse of her sister, Kacey, in Kensington.  The book becomes one you cannot put down when Kacey goes missing and there is a series of murders in Kensington.

I highly recommend Long Bright River.  Its portrayal of the opioid crisis and what it does to families is accurate.  The book is so well-written!  Liz Moore does a fantastic job of developing all of the characters.  She weaves a mystery that I stayed up way too late to read!  It is that good!  I hope you will pick up a copy soon!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5



Comments