After-School Banana Bread adapted from Magnolia Table

I really wanted to try a new banana bread recipe and make it gluten and yeast free.  I found After-School Banana Bread in Magnolia Table by Joanna Gaines.  She makes the banana bread for her kids once a week as an after school snack or they have it in the morning with scrambled eggs.  It is a little different because she bakes it in an 8 x 8-inch pan, instead of the traditional loaf pan.  Ms. Gaines said that she prefers the moist texture that results from using the cake pan. I’m inclined to agree with her!  

After-School Banana Bread
Prep: 15 min.
Cook: 45 to 50 min.
Cool:  5 to 10 min.
Makes 9 servings 

Ingredients:
  • Nonstick baking spray, for the pan
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter, melted and cooled, plus softened butter for serving (See my note next to brown sugar.)
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar (I used coconut sugar and added an extra tablespoon of butter.)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 4 to 5 very right bananas, mashed (Note: Ms. Gaines likes to leave them a little chunky)
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used King Arthur gluten free flour.)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional/I didn’t use pecans.)
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, as needed
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8 x 8-inch pan with nonstick baking spray or line it with parchment paper.
  2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer), beat together the butter, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well blended. Add the bananas and mix until combined.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat just until combined. Add the pecans (if using) and mix until combined.
  4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Sprinkle the sugar over the top. (Note: Joanna likes to cover the whole surface completely with sugar.)
  5. Bake until the tester inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Let the bread cool slightly in the pan on a rack. Slice and serve with warm butter.
  6. When completely cooled, cover the pan with foil and store at room temperature for up to 2 days.




I really loved this banana bread, and I will definitely make it again!  It warms up great in the microwave for 15 seconds, too.  I liked baking it in a cake pan.  It definitely had a moist texture.  I did make a funny mistake while making the banana bread.  My salt and sugar containers were next to each other (both large cylinder shapes).  I absent-mindedly picked up the salt instead of the sugar and salted the entire top of the banana bread! I didn’t even catch my error until I bit into the first piece.  I thought, my that is salty, and then it dawned on me what I did! Lesson to be learned: Be more mindful while you are cooking!!  It was still good! I cut off the top when I ate it, and sprinkled on some sugar. There is always a Plan B!

I hope you will make After-School Banana Bread.  Enjoy!!

Comments