Book Review—Modern Lovers by Emma Straub

I am so excited to read Emma Straub’s new book, All Adults Here.  I bought it as an add-on choice from the Book of the Month Club, and it is also Barnes & Noble’s Book Club May selection.  While I was waiting for All Adults Here to be on the market, I listened to two of her other best selling books, Modern Lovers (2016) and The Vacationers (2014).  Today I am going to review Modern Lovers.

I really enjoyed Modern Lovers.  This book is about a group of college friends, Elizabeth, Andrew, Zoe, and Lydia.  They formed a band, Kitty’s Mustache, and had one super-big hit.  Lydia, the most talented musician of the group, went on to become a solo artist.  Elizabeth, who wrote the song, married Andrew.  Zoe married her friend, Jane, and continued to be neighbors of Andrew and Elizabeth.  The book begins with all of them facing middle-age, the empty nest, and marital discord.  They can’t believe middle age has happened to them, since they were once considered so hip.  All of the characters are well-developed and each goes in a different direction in coping with mid-life.  I found the book entertaining and funny, but the author does show the wisdom of the characters, too, as they evolve.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5


Comments