Broccoli Salad—A Family Favorite

I used to make Broccoli Salad all of the time. I actually got this recipe when I first started teaching at Lake Highland Preparatory School after I graduated from college.  Then I made it for my family, and through the years I would bring it to various parties, wedding showers, and baby showers.  In fact, I think some of my friends would call and say “I’m making the broccoli salad”, so I’d have to think of something else to make!

The McCarthy side of our family had a reunion in Door County, Wisconsin in 2003.  It is one of my best family memories!  My two cousins, Jayne and Janet, put together a wonderful family cookbook.  I really treasure that cookbook!  There are two recipes for Broccoli Salad in the cookbook, the one I use and my late Aunt Dorothy’s.  My Aunt Dorothy was a fantastic cook!  I have used so many recipes of hers through the years.  So, at the end of this blog, I will give you the additions/substitutions she used with Broccoli Salad.

Broccoli Salad

  • 1 large head of broccoli (fresh) cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 cup raisins (I used golden raisins)
  • 1 small red onion, diced
  • 1 cup Spanish peanuts (I substituted 1 cup of salted pepitas)
Toss above together.  Refrigerate and just before serving, add dressing and toss until well-coated.

Dressing
  • 1 cup mayonnaise (I used Veganaise.)
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup Truvia Cane Sugar Blend.)
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar


Broccoli Salad 

The photo did not capture the Veganaise too well, but it is there.  Here are the additions to the Broccoli Salad that my Aunt Dorothy made.  She added 1/2 pound of bacon to the recipe! Yum!  She also said that adding chopped celery was optional.  Aunt Dorothy used 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in place of the red wine vinegar.  She said to mix the salad and let it stand overnight.  I think that is a great tip! This salad is always best the next day.  Plus, if you are taking it to a party, you can make it the night before.  No rushed cooking in the morning!  Aunt Dorothy also said you could add salted sunflower seeds (pepitas), too!  She did not add Spanish peanuts to her salad, so I got the idea of pepitas from her!  Also, nowadays you can buy just the broccoli tops and onion already chopped.  This is a great time-saver for this recipe.

I hope you enjoy this timeless Broccoli Salad recipe.  I’m going to feature more family recipes in the future.  Enjoy!

Comments