Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala from WW


This is a great slow cooker dinner that is tasty, as well as healthy.  It is Slow Cooler Chicken Tikka Masala.  It is from WW (formerly Weight Watchers).  It is just 3 points a serving on the Blue Plan.  This is the recipe I promised you that would go well with the Yeast Free Garlic Butter Naan Bread that I shared on the blog on Tuesday of this week.  I’ve linked the recipe for your convenience.  It is also pictured in the photo below. The chicken can be prepared in a jiffy, and then it cooks on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.  

Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala

Ingredients:
  • 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 small uncooked onion, minced
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced 
  • 1 tablespoon fresh garlic root, minced (I used 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger.)
  • 2 tablespoons garam masala 
  • 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar (I used coconut sugar.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander 
  • 2 pounds uncooked boneless skinless chicken thighs (I bought chicken thighs with skin & bones, because boneless/skinless were not available. I removed the skin.  )
  • 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup of plain low-fat Greek yogurt (I used fat free plain yogurt.)
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional) (I did not use it because of a availability.)
Instructions:
  1.  Combine all ingredients, except yogurt and cilantro, in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.  Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours.  Stir in yogurt and cilantro.  Yields about 1 cup chicken with sauce per serving.  

This recipe is really delicious.  The spices add much flavor, but it is not what I consider a “spicy” dish.  Just one that is full of flavor!  I served it over Seeds of Change Quinoa and Brown Rice.  I also roasted broccoli and had that on the side (I took fresh broccoli florets and minced garlic and tossed them with olive oil at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.). WW suggests you can serve it over basmati rice and a side of wilted spinach.  Jasmine rice would be another great alternative to basmati rice.  I hope you will try this super great recipe!  Don’t forget to make the naan bread while the chicken is in the slow cooker!  The naan is cooked on the stove top, so the oven can be used to roast the broccoli!  Win-Win!  Enjoy!






Comments