Book Review—Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo

This is the first book I have read by Elizabeth Acevedo, and I loved it!  Clap When You Land  (and you will find out the significance of the title) is about love of family and grief, but is written in such a way that it is uplifting.  Ms. Acevedo is also a poet, and there is a beautiful, lyrical quality to her writing.

Camino Rios lives in the Dominican Republic with her Tía.  She lives for summers because that is when her Papi comes to visit. In New York City, Yahaira Rios readies herself for the fact that her Papi is going to the Dominican Republic for the summer to work, as he always does.  Papi is keeping a huge secret, and it is discovered through a tragedy that summer.  

The story is told from the point of views of the two characters, Camino and Yahaira. Ms. Acevedo develops both of the characters so well that the reader realizes that they are the mirror image of each other, as depicted on the beautiful book cover.  I listened to the book, which I purchased from Audible, and the characters come alive.  

This is really a beautiful story and one I will remember.  Linked here is the fantastic book trailer.  Also, please go to cover artist’s Erick Dávila’s Instagram page.  He  has a post in which he places two copies of the book side-by-side with an amazing outcome!  I think I’m going to have to purchase the hardback book to have in my home library.  I am purchasing the book at Kizzy’s Books and More, an independent bookstore in the Orlando area that “embraces the African American culture and the joy of reading”.


⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5








Comments