Book Review—Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Wow, Station Eleven is quite a book.  I actually stumbled upon the book because I wanted to read Emily St. John Manuel’s newest book, The Glass Hotel.  However, it was not available, but Station Eleven was.  Once I started listening to it, (I borrowed it from my local public library and used the Libby app) I realized it was about a fictitious world pandemic with the newly discovered Georgia Flu. I wasn’t sure I wanted to continue listening, but I was already vested into the storyline, so I continued. I just want to say upfront that this book is extremely well-written, the TV rights have already been picked up by HBO Max, and it won many awards. But, you as a reader, will have to decide if this book is something you want to read now.

Station Eleven was published in September of 2014.  In an interview, Ms. Mandel stated that she wanted to write about a world that had no technology, so in order to do that the modern world had to end.  The book focuses on the survivors of the Georgia Flu, mainly a group that calls themselves The Traveling Symphony.  The novel goes back and forth in time detailing their lives before and after the pandemic.  There are a few interesting things that take place in the book. The characters start to think of time in the years post-pandemic, so the years are numbered 0-19.  (The book ends at the 19th year after the pandemic.)  Also, the survivors don’t dwell on their life before the pandemic; they are more concerned with their present time.  One reviewer called the genre for Station Eleven “Adult Speculative Fiction”, which I felt was appropriate.  The book ends on an uplifting note, which gave even more hope for the survivors.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5


Comments