Book Review—Commonwealth by Ann Patchett

I read and reviewed The Dutch House by Ann Patchett earlier this year.  I loved that book so much, so I wanted to read Ann Patchett’s previous book, Commonwealth.  I listened to the audio version, which I received from my local library through the Libby app.  

As I finished the opening chapter, which sets up the story, I became lost in the second chapter due to the jump in time and new characters that were introduced.  I wasn’t sure I could keep listening, so I googled a character list for the book. I found this awesome character map on The Lexington Bookie
website.  It really helped me to get through the audiobook.  I think it is a useful tool for anyone reading the book, but especially if you listen to the audio version.  

The opening chapter is the christening party of Franny Keating.  Franny’s mother, Beverly Keating, has a romantic encounter with an uninvited guest, Bert Cousins.  This encounter sets in motion the demise of both of their marriages, and their subsequent marriage.  They now have a blended family of six children.  The book focuses on the lives of Beverly and Bert, their former spouses, and their children.  Ann Patchett is a master in writing dialogue.  The character development in this book is its strength.  The relationship between the six children and the summers they spend with Beverly and Bert is also paramount to the story.  

I recommend Commonwealth, but have the character map close at hand!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5



Character Map for Commonwealth 

Comments