Book Reviews—Something Borrowed & Something Blue by Emily Giffin

I know that I am very late when it comes to reading these two books by Emily Giffin.  But, when you are on quarantine for months and living in the new hotspot, Florida, I thought I would read some books I have always wanted to read, but never did.  I actually listened to both of these books on the Libby app from my local library.  You must read Something Borrowed before Something Blue.

Something Borrowed was published in 2004.  I remember seeing it in Barnes & Noble when it first published.  I have no idea why I didn’t read it then.  I did see the movie when it came out in 2011, though, and thought it was cute!   But, I really wanted to read the book.  I absolutely loved it!  The novel centers around two best friends, Rachel and Darcy, whose relationship is complicated.  The book is written from Rachel’s point of view.  Rachel is quiet and studious, and Darcy is the life of the party.  Darcy is engaged to Dex, a friend of Rachel’s from law school.  But sparks unexpectedly fly between Rachel and Dex one night.  Rachel is simply horrified to have feelings for Dex.  She unsuccessfully tries to hide her feelings.  True love comes into play when Dex declares his love for Rachel.  This book is about finding true love, even when it is a difficult situation.

Something Borrowed ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Something Blue, the sequel, was published in 2006.  There is not a movie of this book, although it has been in discussion for years.  Something Blue is written from Darcy’s point of view.  Darcy moves to London to try to get her life in order.  I didn’t enjoy this book as much as Something Borrowed.  I think it is because I was so invested in Rachel and Dex’s relationship, it was hard for me to read about Darcy.  I personally had a difficult time liking the character of Darcy, which I’m sure was due to the great writing of author, Emily Giffin. I started to enjoy the book more about 3/4 of the way through to the end.  This book is all about forgiveness and redemption.  I even started to like Darcy a little.

Something Blue ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5






Comments