Paleo Strawberry Shortcake—Perfect for the 4th of July!

Oh my goodness!  These shortcakes are fantastic!  I got this recipe for Paleo Strawberry Shortcake from the blog, Gluten-Free Palate.  It is an awesome blog, and you should check it out.  These shortcakes are made with almond flour, and they are extremely easy to make!  Paleo means that these shortcakes are grain-free and dairy-free.  

Paleo Strawberry Shortcake 🍓
Yield: 6 shortcakes
PrepTime: 10 minutes 
Cook Time:  17 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 2-1/4 cups almond flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons avocado oil (I used olive oil.)
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup (I used it in the recipe.  You can use honey.)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (You can use gluten-free vanilla extract. I used regular vanilla extract.)
Toppings:
  • Strawberries—At least 1 pound, maybe more if you have a large family
  • Non-Dairy Almond Milk Reddi-Wip 
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine almond flour, salt, and baking soda.
  3. Add eggs, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla and stir until combined.
  4. Using a 1/4 measuring cup, measure out the dough.  Use your hands to form a round shortcake about 2 inches thick.  Place each one onto the prepared baking sheet and press down slightly.  Repeat until all dough is used.
  5. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the centers are cooked and the tops start to crack.
  6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
  7. When you are ready to serve your paleo strawberry shortcake, top with a heaping spoonful,of strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream (or dairy-free whipped cream to keep the recipe paleo.)
  8. Store leftover biscuits in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Note from the Author:  When measuring almond flour, spoon it into your measuring cup and level it.  Don’t scoop and level.


Ready to Eat!


Delish!

As you can see in the photo, the shortcakes turned out beautifully.  My shortcakes took the full 17 minutes to bake, and they cracked, just like the author mentioned.  The taste is incredible!  These shortcakes are going to be my “go to” shortcakes in the future.  They get softer each day.  I stored mine in the refrigerator, and they are still soft.  I will freeze the rest later today!  Keep in mind that the recipe only makes six shortcakes, so if you have a large family, you will want to double the recipe.  I made the shortcakes two inches tall, and it makes exactly six shortcakes that way.  The Reddi Wip is a story unto itself!! Trust me, it is so delicious!! I’m so happy to have found this product!! 

I hope everyone has a Happy 4th of July! I know it will be a bit different for all of us!  Enjoy your day!!!

Comments