Bran Muffins and a Bit of Nostalgia

 

These bran muffins are certainly a blast from the past. My mother used to make bran muffins. I can remember on many occasions when I would stop by to see her, she would tell me that she just made some bran muffins and ask if I wanted one. Of course, the answer was always yes! We’d sit at her dining room table and have one with coffee or tea. They were so good!

So, since I’ve been on a nostalgic kick with my cooking lately, I decided to make bran muffins. I did make some healthy substitutions, which I will note in the ingredients.

Bran Muffins - (The Original All-Bran Muffins)
Prep Time: 20 minutes 
Total Time: 50 minutes 
Yield: 12 muffins

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used King Arthur’s gluten-free flour)
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup Truvia Baking Blend)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups Kellogg’s All-Bran Original cereal
  • 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk (You could substitute almond milk to make it dairy free.)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Directions:
  1. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine Kelloggs All-Bran cereal and milk. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens. Add egg and oil. Beat well. Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined. Portion evenly into twelve 2-1/2 inch muffin pan cups coated with cooking spray. ( I used baking cups.)
  3. Bake at 400°F about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm.


The muffins turned out beautifully! I love the crackle top on them. They were delightful! It was enjoyable to take this nostalgic baking trip.

Comments