Book Review—The Answer Is... Reflections on My Life by Alex Trebek


I believe in the will to live.

I believe in the power of positivity.

I believe in optimism.

I believe in hope.


These words are the words of Alex Trebek from his memoir, The Answer Is... Reflections on My Life. In the book, the longtime Jeopardy! host tell the stories of his life and television career in short chapters that are cleverly titled in Jeopardy! answer form. I listened to the audiobook version read mainly by Ken Jennings, the amazing Jeopardy! champion, and Alex Trebek. In the memoir you learn about Alex’s childhood in Canada, how he broke into television, the many game shows he hosted prior to Jeopardy!, behind the scenes at Jeopardy!, his humanitarian work and of course, his family.

From this book, it becomes evident he was a class act in the world of television. He was the host of Jeopardy!, not the star. Trebek said the contestants were the stars. Just last week, his Jeopardy! wardrobe was donated to help people who have experienced addiction, homelessness and incarceration go on job interviews. His son kept one tie of his father’s, one his mother gave to him. In addition, all of the proceeds of this autobiography go to charity. 

This humble man will be greatly missed.


 

Comments