Book Review—A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

“The Count took pride in wearing a well-tailored jacket; but he took greater pride in knowing that a gentleman’s presence was best announced by his bearing, his remarks, and his manners. Not by the cut of his coat.”

A Gentleman in Moscow has to be one of my favorite books of all time. Amor Towles has written a masterpiece that I think will go down as one of the best books of this century. It took me a long time to choose an opening quote for this book review, mainly because there are so many beautiful quotes in this book. I chose the above quote because I felt it gave a sense of what a gentleman Count Alexander Rostov is in the novel.

More than anything, this book is about life, its struggles and one’s perseverance to, shall we say, make lemonade of out of lemons at every turn. The Count becomes isolated because of events in 1922 Moscow. But, he makes the most of his situation. The book is full of descriptions of food, wine, the hotel Metropol, and the many people he comes in contact with there. Small incidents in the Count’s life become big events, and the Russian Revolution is the backdrop of the novel.

A Gentleman in Moscow is a compelling novel. Scenes in the book are written with such detailed description and some are just humorous. I have never read a novel quite like it at all; it is unique. The ending of the book is captivating. If you love to read, you must read this novel. I thank Amor Towles for writing this beautiful story. I can only imagine that it had to be a labor of love to put this enthralling story, that was in his mind, on paper for everyone else to read.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Amor Towles has published one other book, Rules of Civility, which I read and reviewed a year ago. I loved that book!! 

The best news is that Amor Towles has a new book, The Lincoln Highway, coming out on October 5, 2021. I’m so excited to read that novel!



 




Comments