Book Review—The Queen’s Gambit by Walter Tevis

Yes, The Queen’s Gambit is a book.  It was published in 1983 by Walter Tevis, who also wrote The Hustler, The Color of Money, and The Man Who Fell to Earth. All of those books were adapted into films. As most of you know, The Queen’s Gambit was adapted into a miniseries on Netflix recently. Sadly, Walter Tevis passed away in 1984.

I read the book before I watched the Netflix adaptation. The main question I had and maybe you have, too, is do I have to know anything about chess to enjoy the book or movie? The answer is no! The Queen’s Gambit is about so much more than chess. Main character, Beth Harmon, spends most of her childhood in an orphanage. It is there that she learns to play chess from the janitor. Beth’s personality is complex and the book depicts the many sides of Beth. This is a novel that touches on addiction; it is also a coming-of-age story. I also felt that Tevis did a masterful job of letting the reader get into Beth’s mind when she was playing chess, either in practice with friends or at a tournament. The book is thrilling to read. I could hardly wait to get to the end of the novel. 

I highly recommend that you read the book. It is so good that some of the lines in the movie are taken right from the novel. Don’t get me wrong, the movie is excellent and Anya Taylor-Joy was marvelous in depicting the character of Beth Harmon. I’m just a person who loves reading the book first and then watching the movie!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5


 

Comments