Monday Motivation—Walking!

An early morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.

      -Henry David Thoreau  

I love this quote by Thoreau. I started walking quite a bit when I got my new puppy, Milo, in 2017. Of course I couldn’t walk him too far when he was little, but by 5 or 6 months, he had so much energy we started to go on longer walks. Since the pandemic started, Milo and I have been walking five times a day. Milo, being a collie, wakes me up at the crack of dawn and “herds” me around the house while I’m getting ready for our walk. Sometimes, there may be a howl if I am taking too long, in his opinion. He is now 3 years old and he enjoys our walks immensely. We have made many dog and people friends on our walks, too. I have also dropped some weight, and I feel better than I have in ages. 

My early morning walk with Milo is a true blessing. During the walk I clear my head and make plans for the day. I come home and start my morning routine, which includes writing this blog. The walk always starts my day in a positive way. 

I hope that if you aren’t walking or exercising, this might encourage you to start. The mental and physical benefits are tremendous. Plus, you can social-distance and talk to people. Start out walking for 10 minutes and then increase your time. If you live in Florida, like I do, make your first walk as early as possible and make it the longest. Milo and I leave the house between 6:45-7:00 am. He and I are now averaging 7200 steps a day without any trouble. Plus, it aids in our sleep, too. After our last walk of the day, Milo sleeps until morning. I usually get around 7 hours of sleep on the average. 

I hope you will start walking or doing some type of exercise, if you aren’t already doing so. If you want a walking partner, dogs are great, because they will never say no to a walk. 



I took this photo at St. Pete Beach, Florida on a walk on my 60th birthday weekend. It was at sunset, not sunrise, but that particular walk blessed me.

Comments