Love & Saffron by Kim Fay Served with Hungarian Chicken Paprikash

Love & Saffron by Kim Fay is a foodie’s delight. Set in the 1960’s, two women begin a correspondence that lasts three years. This epistolary novel begins when fan Joan Bergstrom writes to columnist Imogene Fortier and sends her a saffron sample. At 27, Joan is a spice queen and specializes in California cooking. Imogene, in her late 50’s, is an expert cook, using the flavors of her Northwest Pacific region. The two become friends, sharing their cooking as well as their life events.

This book is so charming. It brings back the nostalgia of picking up a pen and writing a letter to your friends. It is definitely in the vein of another favorite book of mine, 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Banff. The novel also includes recipes, which is a special treat.

I was inspired to make Hungarian Chicken Paprikash after reading the book. The dish is mentioned on page 15. It was a popular dish in the 1960’s because it used paprika. I remember my mother making Hungarian Goulash, but not Paprikash. I served the Paprikash over egg noodles. I’m linking the delicious recipe I found of Hungarian Chicken Paprikash at The Vintage Recipe Blog
This dish is just amazing! The blog has many vintage recipes of all kinds, so I was excited to make this find in the Internet world!

I hope you enjoy the book and the recipe! I give them both:

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5



 

Comments