Book Review—Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner


Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner is a memoir focused around the author’s relationship with her mother. The author is a Korean-American woman, whose mother was Korean and father is American. Ms. Zauner’s relationship with her mother was often difficult, in that her mother had extremely high expectations of her. When the author was only 25, her mother passed away. During her grief, she found herself crying in the local H Mart, a Korean grocery. The memoir is full of Korean culture, food, love and loss as Ms. Zauner comes to terms with her mother’s untimely death.

As a reader, I found myself wanting to go to a Korean restaurant after reading this book. I am going to do that! I learned so much about the Korean culture. I can also relate to the author in that I lost two immediate family members within the past eight years. Grief is so personal, yet universal. I found myself in tears in the personal care section of our neighborhood grocery when I realized I would never buy Axe deodorant for my nephew ever again. Grief can hit you out of nowhere, and Ms. Zauner channeled hers through this memoir. I think her mother would be so proud of her.

Crying in H Mart is set to become a major motion picture from MGM Orion Studios. Michelle Zauner is set to write the screenplay and her Indie band, Japanese Breakfast, will provide the soundtrack. She is also working on her next book in which she will live in Korea for one year. She will document everything she does, and her goal is to be fluent in the language upon her return to the states. Mom is very proud!

Comments