Book Review—Saturday Night at the Lakeside Supper Club by J. Ryan Stradal

Saturday Night at the Lakeside Supper is the third novel I have read by J. Ryan Stradal. I have loved all of them. Saturday Night at the Lakeside Supper Club is an ode to supper clubs, past and present, that were/are across the Midwest. Main character Mariel Prager inherits the Lakeside Supper Club from her grandmother. She just happens to marry Ned, who is set to inherit the chain-restaurants his father owns. There are several struggles in this novel, one being the fading supper club vs. the new, fancy chain restaurant. Mariel is a strong character and does everything she can to keep Lakeside in operation.

This novel will definitely pull at your heart-strings. If you are from or live in the Midwest, it will bring back your memories of going to supper clubs with your family when you were young. I remember one particular supper club in the Chicago suburbs that served a relish tray before the meal arrived. As a child, the relish tray, chock-full of olives, pickles, beets, nuts, etc. was such a treat. My mom had a relish tray that she would use on holidays and for company. I am happy to say that I inherited that relish tray. 

Saturday Night at the Lakeside Supper Club is  of my favorite books so far in 2023. Do yourself a favor and read this terrific novel.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Other novels by J. Ryan Stradal are:

Kitchens of the Great Midwest

The Lager Queen of Minnesota 

You can search my blog for the reviews I wrote on those two novels. 

Comments