Book Review—The Trackers by Charles Frazier

 


Years ago I read Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier and saw the movie based on his novel staring Jude Law, Nicole Kidman and Renée Zellweger. When I saw that Frazier published a new book, The Trackers, I quickly added it to my list to read.

I loved this book. The Trackers is a historical fiction novel, as well as a mystery. It is set in 1937 during the Depression and focuses on main character, Val Welch. He is an artist who is commissioned to paint a mural inside a post office in Dawes, Wyoming as part of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s New Deal. It is there that Val meets an aspiring U.S. Senator, John Long and his much younger wife, Eve. Val becomes intertwined in their lives, and when Eve goes missing, John asks Val to find her.
What follows is Val becoming a “tracker” to find Eve, which takes him all over the country. The novel is full of descriptions of our country as Frazier takes the reader with Val during this time in history. 

I hope you will check out The Trackers. In fact, I am going to read some of Charles Frazier’s other novels. I think I’ll begin with Varina, which is about the second wife of Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Comments