Restaurant Style Salsa

Today is the first day I have been able to stay completely home since last Friday!  Who says when you are retired you just sit around and watch Netflix?  I just stay so busy, which is great!  I'm not complaining at all!  Today started out with Milo waking me up at sunrise, which he does every morning.  We sit outside for awhile, then he comes inside for his breakfast.  Then we went for a 16 minute walk, according to my Fitbit.  Then we go back outside and sit for awhile.  I read email and my book.  He watches squirrels, tries to eat acorns, digs and comes back with a piece of cement in his mouth (which he promptly drops at my feet), and whines when he knows the dog next door is in the backyard.  I've been trying to get this run/hop thing he does on video when he is soooo happy he can't stand it!  He usually does it when he hears the neighbor's sliding door click and their dog goes into their backyard.  However, he did it this week when we got up really early.  He ran/hopped in excitement to the very back of the yard, then stopped in his tracks and ran back about 6 feet.  All I can think of is that there was an armadillo or an opossum right behind my fence.  I sure hope it was nothing worse than that!  This is the closest thing I've seen in video to Milo's run/hop

So tonight is a UCF home game and they are playing Florida Atlantic.  I will be watching it on ESPN at my house at 7 pm.  Go Knights!  I hope they can extend their 15-game winning streak, which is the longest in the nation right now!  So today's recipe is Restaurant Style Salsa that I'm hoping you can make for tonight's game or any other college or professional football game you might be watching this weekend.  I got this recipe from my sister, who got it from a friend, etc.  Her friend found it on the blog, Laura in the Kitchen 

Ingredients:

  • 2-15 ounce cans of diced tomatoes with onions and peppers
  • 1 cup cilantro (loosely packed)
  • 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 3 small cloves of garlic
  • 1 teaspoon sugar (I used 1/2 packet of Truvia)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • Lots of salt
Preparation:

1.  Add all of the ingredients into a food processor, pulse until you reach your desired consistency.  (I used a blender, and it turned out great!)

2.  Place the salsa in a bowl, cover and pop it in the refrigerator to set a bit before serving.

3.  Serve with tortilla chips.  (I served it with Riceworks Sea Salt Crisps, but my store is not carrying them anymore.)

So delicious!

Can hardly wait to dig into this!

My sister makes this salsa ALL THE TIME!  She makes a salad with shredded lettuce, black beans, and this salsa. That's it!  The salsa serves as the dressing, and it is ZERO Weight Watchers points!  It would also be great in tacos!

I hope you will try this salsa.  You will NEVER be able to eat salsa out of a jar again!  Not kidding!  

Have a great weekend!  And, for all of the Knights fans--Go Knights!  Charge On!

Comments