Perfect for Super Bowl Sunday--Charred Jalapeno Green Chile Cashew Queso

I have always wanted to make a vegan dish out of cashews.  I found this recipe for queso dip from Spices in my DNA, so I thought this would be a perfect recipe to try.  As well as being vegan, the recipe is dairy free, but also has a cheesy flavor.  It is spiced perfectly and ends up being very creamy.  The dip could also be used over salads or your favorite bowl.

Ready for the Super Bowl!


Ingredients:

  • 1 medium-large jalapeno
  • 1 cup cashews, soaked for 4 hours or up to overnight (I soaked mine ovenight.*)
  • 1 (4 ounce) can mild diced green chiles (I used fire-roasted to add a bit more spice.)
  • 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup water

Directions:
  • Preheat your broiler to high.  Position the rack in the upper third of the oven (or the highest.)  Place the jalapeno on a foil-lined baking sheet and place under the broiler for 10-15 minutes, turning every few minutes to ensure it gets charred all over.  You'll know when it is done because it will be black and charred.  Place the jalapeno in a plastic bag and seal it.  Let it sit for 10 minutes.  Once it's finished, remove and discard the charred skin, seeds, and stem. 
  • Add to a high powered blender (I used a regular blender), the jalapeno, cashews, diced green chiles, nutritional yeast, salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and water.  Blend until completely smooth and creamy.  Season to taste with additional salt, if desired.
*Note:  The author of the recipe said that if you are short on time to soak your cashews, place them in a heat proof bowl, boil some water, and pour it over the cashews.  Let them sit for 15 minutes or so.  Then drain them, and they are ready to use!

I had the queso dip with Siete tortilla chips.  The dip is really delicious.  I did like the consistency of the cashew dip, the way it was spiced, and the taste.  I would definitely make this again.  I'm going to look for more cashew-based recipes in the future.

If you make the dip, let me know!!

Comments