Butternut Squash Queso adapted from The Pretty Dish

Who doesn't love queso?  This recipe is a twist on a traditional queso recipe.  It does have cheese, in this case, vegan cheese.  But, it also has a vegetable--butternut squash.  You will have to taste it to believe its goodness, because this queso is out-of-this-world!  On The Pretty Dish Book Club Facebook page, this recipe has garnered rave reviews from the start!  This recipe has been on my "to cook" list for a long time, so here goes!

Butternut Squash Queso

Ingredients:

  • 2-1/2 cups cubed butternut squash (I used 2 packages of frozen butternut squash; check the amount on the package you are purchasing.  I am including the ingredients and instructions if you use fresh butternut squash, also.)
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
  • 1/2 sweet onion, diced
  • 1 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1-1/2 cups half-and-half, divided (I used Silk soy milk creamer.)
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch (Substitute 2 teaspoons arrowroot flour or 2 tablespoons tapioca flour)
  • 16 ounces sharp white Cheddar cheese, freshly grated (I used 16 ounces of Follow Your Heart Cheddar Shreds.)
  • 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, freshly grated (I used 8 ounces of Follow Your Heart Provolone Slices.  I tore the slices into small pieces as I added to the queso.)
  • Cilantro, for topping (optional)
  • Radish slices, for topping (optional)
  • Chopped tomatoes, for topping (optional)
Note:  Jessica Merchant includes a recipe for Rustic Tortilla Chips in The Pretty Dish to eat with the queso.  I did not make them, so I am not including them in the blog today.

Instructions:
  • Preheat the oven to 425°F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  In a bowl, toss the squash with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.  Spread the squash on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, tossing the squash half way through, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
  • Transfer the squash (and any drippings) to a food processor.  Blend until pureed and smooth.  Set aside.  (I skipped the first two instructions because I used frozen squash that was already pureed.)
  • In a saucepan, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the butter over medium heat.  Stir in the jalapeno peppers, onion, and garlic.  Season with the salt and black pepper.  Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the onion softens.  Slowly stream in 1 cup of the half-and-half, whisking the entire time.  In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup half-and-half and the cornstarch until no lumps remain to create a slurry.  Stir the slurry into the saucepan and cook for 1 minute, or until the mixture thickens.  Reduce the heat to low.
  • Stir in the cheese, 1 small handful at a time, until melted.  Stir in the squash until combined.  Transfer the mixture to a crock, large bowl, or a small slow cooker set on low.
  • Serve with the cilantro, radishes, and tomatoes on top (optional), and tortilla chips.
Butternut Squash Queso

I hope you enjoy this delicious new take on queso!  Remember, I have adapted it to be dairy-free and it follows the Candida guidelines.  Let me know if you make the queso.  If you make any of the recipes from the blog, you can add a photo of the dish on your Instagram page, tag me at @Lovinglifeandlivingyeastfree and use the hashtag #lovinglifeandlivingyeastfree to publish your picture on my hashtag page.  Also, if you tag and hashtag me in your picture on your Instagram story, I could also include it in my Instagram story.  Happy Cooking!!

Comments