Flavorful Mango, Avocado and Black Bean Salad

In staying with our plant-based theme, I made the most delicious mango, avocado, and black bean salad this week.  It is a versatile recipe, too, which I love!  I know I’m on a mango kick, but when I can buy a beautiful mango right now at the grocery for $1, I will be cooking with mangos!  This recipe is heart healthy; in fact I found it on the American Heart Association website.

Mango, Avocado and Black Bean Salad—6 Servings

Ingredients:

  • 15 oz. canned, no-salt added black beans (1 can), drained, rinsed
  • 15.25 oz. canned, no-salt added or low-sodium whole kernel corn (1 can), drained, rinsed (Note:  I did eat the corn, but it is not recommended for the Candida plan, unfortunately.)
  • 1 cup avocado (1 medium or 2 small), halved, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 2 mangos (about 2 cups), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 2 green onions (cut into 1/2-inch pieces) OR 1/2 small red or white onion (about 1/4 cup), cut into 1/2-inch pieces (Note: I used red onion.)
  • 1 red or green bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 or 1/2 jalapeño pepper, stems discarded, seeded, finely chopped, optional
  • 1 head romaine lettuce (chopped) (Note:  I used shredded iceberg; romaine is more nutritious.)
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (Note:  I never used bottled.)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil.   
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
Directions:
  • Chop romaine lettuce into 2-inch pieces, and divide into 6 bowls or plates. (Note: When I made the salad, I was making it just for me, so I had a lot of leftovers!)
  • Combine the black beans, corn, mango, avocado, onions, and jalapeño pepper.  Do not mix until you add the dressing.
  • Combine the lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, chili powder, black pepper, and salt together in a jar with a secure lid.  Shake together until mixed well and pour over the mango and avocado mixture.
  • Toss gently to coat and serve over the lettuce.

Look at those colors!!!

I obviously had a lot of leftovers when I made this salad.  I put the salad into Siete almond flour tortillas one night for tacos and over a baked potato another evening. I would suggest eating the avocado immediately because even with the lime juice, it will turn brown if left in the salad.  Also, you could add more avocado each time you have the salad for leftovers.  The flavors in the salad even get better over time.

Tacos!!!

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!!


Comments