Lentil Cucumber Salad



To be honest, I have never had lentils in a salad before I tried this recipe.  I've had lentil soup for years, and it is a favorite of mine.  I found this recipe on the 21 Day Vegan app and decided to give it a try.  I'm so happy that I did, and I can share it with you today.

Lentil Cucumber Salad--Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup brown or green lentils (I used Earthly Choice's Organic Lentil Trio, which contains red split, green, and black lentils.)
  • 1 cup tomato, diced
  • 1 cup cucumber, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup orange or red pepper, cubed (I chose an orange pepper.)
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon olives, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (You could substitute olive oil to stay on plan.)
Note:  I noticed on the app that they had a photo of a carrot where they shared the ingredients.  It also looks like there is a carrot in the photo of the deconstructed salad.  They did not list a carrot in their ingredients list.  I did not put a carrot in the lentil salad, but you can add a carrot if you wish.

Directions:
  • Clean the lentils to make sure they have no stones and pour into a large pot of water.
  • Boil gently for 20 minutes or until tender.  Strain and let cool on a tray in the refrigerator.
  • In a large bowl, mix the lentils with the remaining ingredients.  Season with salt and pepper.
  • Serve the salad cold.


Lentil Cucumber Salad!

I really loved this salad!  It was delicious cold, too.  My sister had it with me, and she thought it was fabulous.  She is a real lentil lover!  The recipe makes 4 generous servings.  It is a perfect summer salad with the benefits of being healthy.  It is 198 calories per serving and contains 13.2 g of protein and 9.9 g of fiber.  It only contains 6.3 g of sugar, which is great for us on the Candida plan.  The 21 Day Vegan app gives the full nutrition facts for all of its recipes, which is a huge help!  For those of you on WW (formerly Weight Watchers), this salad is 6 SmartPoints.  I hope you will give the Lentil Cucumber Salad a try!

Comments