September 2019 Reading

September was a great month of reading and listening to books!  I have read 63 books so far this year, and I hope to reach my goal of 72.  

The Lying Game by Ruth Ware is a great mystery that surrounds four women who attended college together.  They have been keeping a huge secret.  Great ending!

After the End by Clare Mackintosh was one of my favorite books this month.  It was a Spivey’s Club pick for the month of September.  The book features Max and Pip, a great couple that have a wonderful life together.  Then life takes an unexpected turn, and the book splits into two alternate timelines.  The book can be heartbreaking at times, but it also conveys the hope that we often cling to in hard times.

Now Accepting Roses: Finding Myself While Searching for the One...and Other Lessons I Learned from “The Bachelor” by Amanda Stanton is well, pure fluff.  If you are a Bachelor Nation fan, pick up a copy.  I read it in a day.

I had no idea that I would love American Royals by Katharine McGee as much as I did!  This was one of my favorite books this month, and was a Spivey’s Club pick for September.  The premise of this book is that George Washington became a King instead of a President when the United Stares was formed, thus forming the House of Washington.  The book fast forwards to the present day and the drama that ensues with the royal family.  (Note:  Being a history buff, Washington never fathered any children of his own.  He adopted Martha’s two children from her marriage to Daniel Parke Custis.  Custis died at age 45, and Martha married George two years later. So, if we had a “royal” family, it would have been from the Custis family, not Washington.)

The Other Woman by Sandie Jones was a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick in November, 2018.  This is a mystery/thriller that involves Emily and Dan, her perfect man.  Everything is fine until Dan’s mother Pammie becomes overly involved in Emily’s life.  You will stay up to read the ending!

I was a little afraid to read The Whisper Man by Alex North just because I thought it would be too scary.  It is definitely a thriller, but I got through this book just fine.  This is Alex North’s debut novel, and I expect that he will be writing many more books.  The plot is so captivating, I could hardly stop listening!  (Yes, this is a great audiobook!).  This book is a Spivey’s Club pick for the month of October.  It was also a Book of the Month Club selection, too.  Great for October reading!

I read another book by Ruth Ware this month.  The Death of Mrs. Westaway is a mystery/thriller about a girl named Hal (Harriet Westaway) who receives a letter saying that she is the beneficiary in her grandmother’s will.  Hence begins the tale of Harriet with many twists and turns.  

The last book I read this month was Inland by Téa Obreht.  It was the Barnes and Noble Book of the Month Club pick for August.  I have to be honest and tell you that I struggled reading this book.  However, once I got used to the writer’s style, which is so beautiful, I started to enjoy the book.  Another thing that helped me was that parts of the book are based on historical facts about the old west. I googled an aspect of the book I had a question about (I didn’t look at spoilers) and was so impressed that Ms. Obreht included this obscure part of American history in this novel, it motivated me to finish the book. I had to know what happened, and the ending is just beautiful.  It ended up being one of my favorite books this month.

So, what do I plan to read in October?  Right now I am halfway through Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella.  A couple realizes that they might actually be married for 68 more years, so they start surprising each other to spice up their marriage.  Hilarious!  I have wanted to read Otherwise Engaged by Lindsey J. Palmer all year, so that is on my list.  I’m also going to read The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyer.  It is a Spivey’s Book Club pick for October, and I’ve heard so many great things about this book.  What are you reading this month?


September, 2019 Books I Read

Comments