Salted Apple Fritters

I had to try these salted apple fritters from Jessica Merchant's How Sweet Eats blog.  This is the first time I have ever made apple fritters, and it was a fun experience.  Jessica recommends using honeycrisp apples for this recipe.  When I went to the grocery, they didn't have honeycrisp!  Boo!  So, I used Fuji apples.  But, I went back to the grocery again yesterday, and they have honeycrisp apples.  Guess I'll have to make them again!!  (You will want to make them more than one time, too!)

Salted Apple Fritters

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used  King Arthur Flour--Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour.)
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar (I used 1-1/2 teaspoons of Truvia Brown Sugar Blend.)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
  • 2/3 cup milk (I used 2/3 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk.)
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups peeled and chopped apples (preferably honeycrisp apples)
  • Vegetable or canola oil for frying (It has a higher heat point that olive oil.)
Glaze
  • 2 cups powdered sugar (This is off plan.)
  • 1/4 cup milk (I used 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk.)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • Flaked sea salt for sprinkling (I used regular sea salt.  I think the flaked sea salt would be great, but it was not at my grocery store.)
Instructions:
  • Heat a few inches of oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.  You want the oil to reach about 350 degrees.  Line a plate with paper towels.
  • In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.  In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, butter and vanilla.  Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined.  Stir the chopped apples into the batter.
  • Once the oil is hot, drop 1/4 cups of batter into the oil, only doing 1 or 2 at a time, and fry until golden on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes.  Be sure to flip the fritter once or twice.  Remove the fritters with a slotted spoon and place them on the paper towel to drain excess grease.  Repeat with remaining batter.
  • Once the fritters are all finished and slightly cool, dip them in the glaze.  Place them on a sheet of parchment paper and immediately sprinkle with flaked salt.  Serve!
Glaze
  • Whisk the sugar, vanilla and milk together until combined and smooth.  If the mixture is too thick, add more milk 1 teaspoon at a time until it's thin enough to dip the fritters.



Beautiful and Delicious!!

The apple fritters are delicious!  The glaze and the sea salt are a must!  I would suggest eating them while they are warm.  I picture having a fall gathering at your home and making these for your guests.  They are amazing!  I hope you enjoy making the apple fritters as much as I did!

Comments