Book Review—Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe

After I read Demi Moore’s memoir Inside Out last month, I wondered if Rob Lowe had ever written his story.  After a few seconds searching on Goodreads I found out that he did write a memoir in 2011.  Where was I in 2011?  I was teaching and grading papers and not making much time at all for reading.  So, even if I am a bit late reviewing this book, it will be a good reminder that this memoir is out there and if you haven’t read it, it is worth your time.

I listened to Rob Lowe’s memoir on audiobook format.  I find memoirs so much more personal when the author reads them.  Rob even does voice impressions of some of his friends.  He is quite good!  

Rob grew up in Ohio and was influenced by his Midwestern roots throughout his life.  He always wanted to be an actor and did some local theater when he was young.  A move to Malibu with his family changed his life.  He says he grew up in the “old” Malibu, small beachy homes, not the mansions that are there today.  However, it was there that he met two families that got his career rolling.

Rob’s big break was getting cast in the movie The Outsiders directed by Francis Ford Coppola.  Other stars in the movie were many young men who are major stars today.  Rob tells many stories of the making of that film.  He makes you feel as if you are on the set with him.  Even though Rob is disappointed in the outcome of his part in The Outsiders, he was able to go from that movie and get other great parts.

The takeaway I took from this book is that Rob is someone who can overcome adversity.  He is a recovered alcoholic and has remained sober for years.  He overcame his playboy image with his 1991 marriage to  Sherry Berkoff, with whom he has two sons.  West Wing, which he talks about in the book, revitalized his career in 1999.  His story is a mixture of Hollywood, politics, and hard work.  He is not just a pretty face; he is an astute businessman as well as an actor who works hard to perfect his craft.

After reading this book, I want to go back and watch his old movies, such as The Outsiders, Oxford Blues, and my favorite, About Last Night.  He also wrote another memoir in 2014 titled Love Life that I want to read. 

As a side note, Rob stars with Kristen Davis right now in Holiday in the Wild on Netflix.  His real son, John Owen Lowe, plays his son in the movie.  Also, this weekend he stars in the new show
 9-1-1: Lone Star on Fox Network.  He is also one of the executive producers of the show.  The show has a 2-night premier beginning Sunday, January 19th.

If you love Rob Lowe and his movies, you will love his memoir, Stories I Only Tell My Friends.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5



Comments