Simple Summer Open-Faced Sandwich

I saw this simple sandwich on Jessica Merchant’s blog How Sweet Eats.  I found it in her “Week in the Life, Vol. 3” section when she shared what she had been eating for lunch that week. I was so excited because I had everything at home to make the sandwich, and you can make it yeast and dairy-free.  

First, you need a piece of sourdough bread.  Yes, I know that bread is a no-no, but if I do eat bread, I make sure it is sourdough.  Then you top it with mayonnaise (substitute dairy-free Veganaise), cheddar cheese slices (substitute dairy-free Follow Your Heart Cheddar Slices), two slices of beautiful tomatoes, and top with salt and pepper.  Voila!  Just a fun open-faced sandwich you can easily make for these hot summer days!

Have any of you made sourdough starter during quarantine?  I was thinking of doing that.  It is a way to have truly yeast-free sourdough bread.  Plus, there are so many recipes you can make with sourdough such as pretzels, muffins, pancakes, banana bread, and tortillas!  There are even recipes for crackers that you can make with the sourdough discard.  I can remember my mom having sourdough starter when I was a little girl.  All of the neighbor ladies got together and were sharing their starter.  Mom used to make delicious pancakes with her sourdough.  So, I think I’ve talked myself into making sourdough starter.  I’ll write a blogpost and let you know how it goes.  In the meantime, enjoy this simple sandwich, and let me know if you are using sourdough starter at home.



Comments